Can I feed my hens there own egg shells after they have dried

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by timordog, May 23, 2009.

1. timordog

timordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    We have three mason jars w/ crushed egg shells. Can I give my hens there own eggs shells after they've totally dried. I'm talking months. Good or bad idea?????

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I do. I smash them with a colander in a coffee can and then dump them in their sandbox or directly on the ground in their run. I've yet to have an any one eat an egg because I've feed them dried egg shells.

3. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    We feed our chickens all the dried, crushed egg shells. I crush them in a bread bag using a rolling pin. My Dad uses a bread bag, but places it on the floor and steps on it until it's as crushed as he wants.
    No problems either.

prairiegirl

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Go for it! I save mine in a metal bowl and when ever the oven is on I throw them in for 10-15 min. to dry out them out, then crush them and feed them to the flock.

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I sure do .
    what goes around comes around.
    LoL
    have a small carton on the counter when its full
    off to the coops it goes.after being crushed.
    they seem to dry themselves.

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I do. I save them till i have a bunch, then i dump them in the food processor and grind them up. I add it to their feed.

7. Texgran

Texgran Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Aubrey, Texas
    I used to put mine in the oven for a period of time. Now I just Put a single layer on a large dinner plate...microwave for 2 min...stir...microwave for 2 more minutes...cool and crush
    It works GREAT and no oven or pans to wash(actually I've started using a large paper plate)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by