Can I feed possibly tainted Romaine to my pullets?

Little Meadow Big Sky

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 22, 2017
Hi, and Happy Thanksgiving!

In that I, like I'm sure many of us, got caught with romaine lettuce in the fridge when the great and absolute ban from the CDC came down today, I wanted to seek advice on whether or not it's OK to feed it to my pullets.

I'm a first-time chicken-keeper so I'm still learning.

What happens if a hen (in my case 7 month old pullets) eats greens tainted with e-coli? Do they "handle it" or can it sicken them?

Thanks, you marvelous smart people!

That's a small amount, usually less thana cup per bird per week, and it should be divided up over several days. Following are some good, safe treats for chickens. ... Clean up any treats the chickens don'teat right away. Dark, leafy greens: Avoid iceberg or head lettuce, which is basically just green-tinged water.

I looked online and found this. I am not saying it is alright, cause I really do not know
There’s a CDC recall on ALL Romaine Lettuce in the USA.

I threw out ALL my Romaine!!
5 heads I just bought.
Even tho I had already fed some yesterday.
I eat it too... but I’d rather prevent illness than try and treat it.
Ecoli is nothing to mess with.
We can give it to them.
And they can give it us.
I’m going to use butter lettuce or some other type of greens. I hate wasting money but I’m going to be safe about it.

That's a small amount, usually less thana cup per bird per week, and it should be divided up over several days. Following are some good, safe treats for chickens. ... Clean up any treats the chickens don'teat right away. Dark, leafy greens: Avoid iceberg or head lettuce, which is basically just green-tinged water.

I looked online and found this. I am not saying it is alright, cause I really do not know

Back
Top Bottom