Can I feed quail chicks game bird FINISHER or canary seed mix w/cat food?

Gave them boiled quail egg (cute little cannibals) and alfalfa sprouts. They go CRAZY for it!
I give them a handful of alfalfa sprouts a day to share amongst them.

Haha, they're so cute...
Thanks all.

I'm reviving an old thread because I have feeding questions for my two new adult Button hens. For feed I have ground alfalfa pellets, hemp seed, quinoa grain and meal worms, plus I'm offering grit with oyster shell. Am I missing anything? Buying a big bag of layer feed seems like a waste. I don't have chickens now.

you need to get them on game bird crumble with a protein of at least 20%. You can use non medicated chick starter or turkey works well but game bird is what you really want. It is used for pheasants, large quail and turkeys. I just buy a large bag, about 40 pounds, and share it with a friend who has chickens and ducks. chickens will eat anything. If you have a freezer you can bag it and freeze for up to one year also.
please limit the mealworms to 5 per week as they are not protein just fat and fat hens will not lay and can die if they get too many. Fresh veggies chopped fine and fruit are good for them. mine love raw broccoli, spinach or hard boiled chicken egg that is run in the chopper with cornmeal or fine bread crumbs. I store egg in the fridge for 3-4 days before making a new egg for them.

Post a pic of your buttons we love to see photos!

good luck and enjoy these cute little ones.

Hi I see you are in Australia, me too Im in Adelaide. South Australia and I had the same problem finding the feeds I was after but I eventually Did find game bird starter along with all of the other feeds and crumbles etc at Oliver's Stockfeeds/Pet shop. They are on Morphett Road, Glengowrie straight across from Morphettville race course. Best of all they sell all of the bird feeds by the Kilogram for example I bought one KG of gamebird starter to see if my birds would like it and it cost me $1.00 which was lucky because they started eating eat because it was new I think then for 2 days they wouldn't touch it so I went back to feeding them canary seed and I mixed about a quarter of the starter in with it. You can contact Oliver's stockfeeds which is known as One Of The Largest Pet & Fodder Stores In Australia by stopping in at the store at
88 Morphett Rd, Glengowrie SA 5044 you can also call them on (08) 83770223
They also do deliveries and sell birds, chickens and other pets.

In Addition also I will probably be crucified for saying this but my Quail love canary seed so that is what I mostly feed them I would rather feed them feed they love and eat than feed that gets kicked out dirtied on and not eaten. They all look great with shiny feathers and ready for the Adelaide royal show :)

Back
Top Bottom