can I feed uncooked bacon fat to my girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by familyguy, Jan 22, 2011.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    I recently got about four or five pounds of 'bacon scraps' (basically pieces that were left over after slicing bacon off the slab) and have seperated out the pieces I can use for cooking and have left a pile of pieces of bacon fat (all uncooked) and I wondered if I can throw these in the coop for the girls to munch on? Do you think they will like them? Should they be cut into smaller pieces? Will it do them any harm? I am thinking it would be sorta like suit in that it would provide them with some good energy to help keep them warm during the cold days of winter.
    Thanks

2. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    [​IMG]. Wow! Yes, it would be like suet. Can't recommend though, I've never thought of feeding anything so rich to my birds. Mix it with scratch to make up for fewer bugs in winter?

3. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I recently found a recipe for chicken treats using cooked bacon grease.

Put some scratch grain and a bit of feed along with some raisins in muffin tins and cover with bacon fat. Freeze and then pop one out and give to the birds. I use a mini muffin tin cause I only have 4 chickens and have been giving them 2 every other day for the past week since it's so cold. They love it! [​IMG]

4. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I've seen this done for wild birds in the winter never thought to do it for my chucks easy peasy just slightly different ingredients,

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I would feed it to them, not all at once but in moderation.

6. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    You can mix peanutbutter in with the grease. About one part PB to three parts lard. And all the other stuff too.

7. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Mail it to me. What's the point of bacon without the fat? LOL

Just poking a little fun.

8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:I'm with you. Winn Dixie actually sells 4lb boxes of ends and pieces. Usually, it's far meatier than regular bacon and about twice as cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by