can I feed uncooked bacon fat to my girls?

familyguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I recently got about four or five pounds of 'bacon scraps' (basically pieces that were left over after slicing bacon off the slab) and have seperated out the pieces I can use for cooking and have left a pile of pieces of bacon fat (all uncooked) and I wondered if I can throw these in the coop for the girls to munch on? Do you think they will like them? Should they be cut into smaller pieces? Will it do them any harm? I am thinking it would be sorta like suit in that it would provide them with some good energy to help keep them warm during the cold days of winter.
Thanks

gig.gif
. Wow! Yes, it would be like suet. Can't recommend though, I've never thought of feeding anything so rich to my birds. Mix it with scratch to make up for fewer bugs in winter?

I recently found a recipe for chicken treats using cooked bacon grease.

Put some scratch grain and a bit of feed along with some raisins in muffin tins and cover with bacon fat. Freeze and then pop one out and give to the birds. I use a mini muffin tin cause I only have 4 chickens and have been giving them 2 every other day for the past week since it's so cold. They love it!
wee.gif

Quote:
I've seen this done for wild birds in the winter never thought to do it for my chucks easy peasy just slightly different ingredients,

I think I got the answer, but want to be sure. I bought fresh clean bacon end chunks for some beans. I cut off some of the pure fat places and now have some chunks of raw fresh bacon fat. Can I feed this to my chickens, not cooked, in small amounts. (I can freeze it and take a bit out at a time.)

Back
Top Bottom