can i fit this many?

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
I'm currently planning to put several of our new chicks into our existing flock once they're big enough. But in case that transition doesn't work out i was wondering if i could fit everyone in my soon to be built coop? If i have to fit all the new chicks into the new coop i'd have 30 hens in a 6'x10' coop, that will likely have a 16'x16' attached run. Can i fit them all in there without overcrowding? When i did the math that would give them a combined total (inside and out) of 10 sq ft of foot room which i "think" is enough room but wanted to make sure. I wish i could free-range them but i cannot due to predators in our area.

You're in Upstate NY so there's a lot of the year when they won't be using the run. Then they'll have 2 sq ft per bird. That's pretty tight for bantams & much too tight for large fowl.

You're in Upstate NY so there's a lot of the year when they won't be using the run. Then they'll have 2 sq ft per bird. That's pretty tight for bantams & much too tight for large fowl.
Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking. Last winter my layers were in their coop a lot on the really cold days. I had been aiming for 4 sq ft of coop room and 10 sq ft of run room. But chicken math has gotten the best of me i'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom