Can I get some experienced eyes to look at these eggs?!

I have red silkies,black australorps,barred rocks,rhode island reds,BB red half bantam Roos,Silver Laced Wyandotte Black/White/Grey Roos. And my red silkie just hatched 2 chicks a few days ago. Also im starting about about 35-40 eggs in my incubator the day after tommorow, I like having lots of chickens, and i love the different colours of eggs. Just thought i would share what i have on my Homestead, ohh qand we have 43 Meat King " Cornish X Rocks " for the meat, were gettign 25 day old females today, and we have 18 6 week old males now
woot.gif

So, I finally screwed up enough courage to look inside 3 of the 13 that didn't look quite "right" and they were all duds. No noticeable growth at all, no dark spots, no blood. And thankfully not stinky! So... Whew! Mixed with a little sad. One was egg #2 in the pictures. The dark stripe was a line of opaque white around the edge of the yolk. (And partly my crayon marking 13 on it)

But. I have 6 that now look half-to-mostly dark, which I am hoping is good? No veins or dots, though. And I'm not seeing any movement at all, either, so...
hu.gif

Did you have fuzzy, non-descript edges on your dark areas? Or sharp, clear edges? Mine are all... fuzzy. Like a shadow.

And I have 2 that I am a little doubtful of, but wasn't ready to open them up, yet. I think 3 was all I could handle for tonight. They look too light to have anything in them, I think.

But now I'm torn between waiting to candle again around the "normal" 14 days, or doing another round at 12 days. (To check on the other two potential duds) I am just so worried that I will leave quitters in for too long and end up with a stinky mess.

Awww... So you have 2 little babies now! How fun! I'll bet they might even be more entertaining than chicken tv!

And - Welcome ChickenFarmer96! Sounds like you have quite the collection!
welcome-byc.gif

So, I finally screwed up enough courage to look inside 3 of the 13 that didn't look quite "right" and they were all duds. No noticeable growth at all, no dark spots, no blood. And thankfully not stinky! So... Whew! Mixed with a little sad. One was egg #2 in the pictures. The dark stripe was a line of opaque white around the edge of the yolk. (And partly my crayon marking 13 on it)

But. I have 6 that now look half-to-mostly dark, which I am hoping is good? No veins or dots, though. And I'm not seeing any movement at all, either, so...
hu.gif

Did you have fuzzy, non-descript edges on your dark areas? Or sharp, clear edges? Mine are all... fuzzy. Like a shadow.

And I have 2 that I am a little doubtful of, but wasn't ready to open them up, yet. I think 3 was all I could handle for tonight. They look too light to have anything in them, I think.

But now I'm torn between waiting to candle again around the "normal" 14 days, or doing another round at 12 days. (To check on the other two potential duds) I am just so worried that I will leave quitters in for too long and end up with a stinky mess.

Awww... So you have 2 little babies now! How fun! I'll bet they might even be more entertaining than chicken tv!

And - Welcome ChickenFarmer96! Sounds like you have quite the collection!
welcome-byc.gif
Thank you! I'm getting there. I just ordered 3 porcelain & 3 lavenders to hatch... we'll see how they do. I would say you can candle at day 12. I candle mine almost daily, all 10. and I see movement in all of them so far. It's getting harder bc they're growing and don't have as much space and sometimes don't move hardly at all, but I've seen veins for a while. As long as you can take a mental note or write down what you see you can compare it daily and determine if it's time to call some quits. It's a tough decision bc in my mind I think "what if..." so I understand the apprehension.

Ok, so even through the brown shell, you could clearly see the veining? I'm not seeing any of that.

I went back out today and re-checked a bunch of them. I ended up culling another 7. I now have 3 in the nest. They are dark, but I never saw any veins. And I'm not seeing movement. Other than the liquid sort of air-bubble moving. So I'm guessing these are quitters, too. There are no well-defined objects, just shadowy masses. I guess I'll be doing some more egg-topsies later.

Sigh. I'm going to see if I can get some local fertile eggs. Note to self: Shipped fertile eggs are a waste of money, time and energy!!

Ok, so even through the brown shell, you could clearly see the veining? I'm not seeing any of that.

I went back out today and re-checked a bunch of them. I ended up culling another 7. I now have 3 in the nest. They are dark, but I never saw any veins. And I'm not seeing movement. Other than the liquid sort of air-bubble moving. So I'm guessing these are quitters, too. There are no well-defined objects, just shadowy masses. I guess I'll be doing some more egg-topsies later.

Sigh. I'm going to see if I can get some local fertile eggs. Note to self: Shipped fertile eggs are a waste of money, time and energy!!
sad.png
I'm sorry. yea idk at what day you can start seeing the veins but def by day 10 you see them and movement.

I'm picking up local fertile eggs tomorrow!
big_smile.png

I think I'll have better luck with local eggs. Less handling and fresher eggs.
Just hoping my broody-butt is willing to go along with the change in plans. She's been so dedicated so far...

I'm picking up local fertile eggs tomorrow!
big_smile.png

I think I'll have better luck with local eggs. Less handling and fresher eggs.
Just hoping my broody-butt is willing to go along with the change in plans. She's been so dedicated so far...
Then she should do fine
wink.png

That is so exciting!! How many did you end up setting?
Have you heard any peeping?

I got eggs that were kind of local. It was a bit of a drive. (3 hours, round trip) I kind of resigned myself to not candling after I set them, as I didn't want to disturb any growth... but then couldn't contain myself and took a quick peek at a couple today and saw very obvious veining, and a heart beating in one of the lighter shelled ones!! Yay!! I guess I'll do a full nest candling either tomorrow or tonight.

Good luck on your hatch! :)

Back
Top Bottom