Can I give coxoid and flubenvet at the same time? Worms, coccidiosis, or bumblefoot- or all the above?! please help.

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
My chickens have had foul smelling diarrhoea for 3 days, yellowish brown, runny, sometimes a bit lumpy and or foamy, and it TRULY STINKS.
I'm worried they have worms- I've ordered Flubinvet and Coxoid and I really need to know if I can treat with both at the same time? My chickens are otherwise healthy and pottering around. I'd say egg laying is reduced a bit but I haven't beein keeping proper track of this- I will be taking a lot of notice from now onwards.

Side note- they also have what I suspected was mild bumblefoot - very slightly swollen toes/pads with black scab in the middle. I tried soaking in Epson salts and picking off the scab to squeeze out any infection but it was dry inside. I used magnesium sulphate paste and bandaged, I'll be doing that every evening now.

Please can anyone advise?

Since flubenvet goes in the feed and Coxoid goes into the water, it should not be a problem to give at the same time. But you could actually find out if worms or coccidiosis are a problem if your vet could do a fecal float to look at their droppings under a microscope. What are you feeding? Cecal poops can be stinky and more runny. It doesn’t hurt to worm them occasionally, but their are a number of different worms that chickens can have, and a fecal float could tell this.

Can you post any pictures of the feet? If repeated soaking of the feet in warm Epsom salts or soapy water, doesn’t help, surgery sometimes is done to get the kernel of solid pus out, and get it healing. Here is a good article about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have sent off a poop sample to a lab, it takes a day to get there and then they email you your results the same day so I should find out what worms they have by early/mid week... It is definitely not cecal poo, they do excellent ones of those :lol: but these are different. They were absolutely exPLODING this morning- sometimes preceded by a loud growling of the stomach and then explosive liquid streaked with white. They are also doing yellowish pale brown liquid poos which really smell so bad. Worse than cecal, and a lot more frequent. This combined with the swollen toes and pads has really got me worrying.
I've read you shouldn't give both coxoid and flubenvet at the same time but usually the people asking have much sicker sounding chickens than I currently have...

Since flubenvet goes in the feed and Coxoid goes into the water, it should not be a problem to give at the same time. But you could actually find out if worms or coccidiosis are a problem if your vet could do a fecal float to look at their droppings under a microscope. What are you feeding? Cecal poops can be stinky and more runny. It doesn’t hurt to worm them occasionally, but their are a number of different worms that chickens can have, and a fecal float could tell this.

Can you post any pictures of the feet? If repeated soaking of the feet in warm Epsom salts or soapy water, doesn’t help, surgery sometimes is done to get the kernel of solid pus out, and get it healing. Here is a good article about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Here at some photos- how bad do you think it is? I watched the video in the excellent link you posted- ooh I’m not sure if I’d feel confident doing that..
DB25772A-48FD-4480-AC9E-E26478C4C598.jpeg
801701B0-D04D-4801-8A94-D945B71821AC.jpeg
3C925A49-F7CA-419D-B91E-C2E801CBC506.jpeg
2B4BDA2B-CC82-4C68-8A35-E6D73A7F657B.jpeg

That's a lot of swelling - is that pre or post removal?

If post, there's probably still puss in there - especially if it's 'hot' compared to the other foot.

I always dig till I get blood with my girls and usually find pockets of puss along the way if it's a bad infection. I've found the best digging tool to be a rounded clay-sculpting hook which now lives full time in my chicken first aid kit.

Make sure to pack with triple antibiotic ointment, thoroughly pad with gauze and wrap so the wound stays clean.

With the poos, do post pics. It can help a lot in IDing the issue.

Just a note of caution on that, yellow urates can be indicative if liver/kidney issues. Be mindful when dosing her as her body may struggle to process additional chemicals if she's already having troubles, so best to wait on the lab results before drenching in this case.

If post, there's probably still puss in there - especially if it's 'hot' compared to the other foot.

I always dig till I get blood with my girls and usually find pockets of puss along the way if it's a bad infection. I've found the best digging tool to be a rounded clay-sculpting hook which now lives full time in my chicken first aid kit.

Make sure to pack with triple antibiotic ointment, thoroughly pad with gauze and wrap so the wound stays clean.

Just a note of caution on that, yellow urates can be indicative if liver/kidney issues. Be mindful when dosing her as her body may struggle to process additional chemicals if she's already having troubles, so best to wait on the lab results before drenching in this case.
Hi, thanks for your reply. That’s pre removal. We have tried two nights in a row with some tweezers to pick off the scab but nothing comes out so we pack with magnesium sulphate drawing ointment and bandage with vetwrap. I’m wondering now though after watching the video in that link if more aggressive treatment is necessary. I just don’t think I could do that though, it’s not the act of cutting in that worries me *so* much, but in the UK where I am we cannot buy antibiotic cream over the counter and I’d be terrified of her getting an infection. Do you think she needs a trip to the vet?

Oh also- do you think the gross poo is connected to the feet swelling and scabs?

Oh also- do you think the gross poo is connected to the feet swelling and scabs?
No, bumblefoot will be from an infected cut. It's more a question of what did they cut their foot on than what infected it.

Surprising you can't get antibiotic creams OTC. Can you get medical-grade honey? It tends to be a bit expensive, but is just as good at keeping bacteria out.

With those swollen feet and toes, you might be dealing with gout as well as bumblefoot. In the second picture is the grreen skin due to bruising, or do you have an easter egger that has green legs? Bumblefoot is not always treated overnight. It might require soaks for a few days. I don’t usually do anything, unless there is limping or an abscess. Sometimes bumblefoot is just a chronic scab, and causes no problems. Incase it is gout, which causes lumpy toes and feet, here is some info on that:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom