Can I give my chickies a bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cici_p, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    My silkie and showgirl chicks are two weeks old now. Some of them are very messy eaters! Would it okay for me to give them a "bath" with a warm, damp wash cloth to clean them off? I don't feel like it is healthy for them to be wearing their food, but I don't want to chill them.
    Thanks!

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how old they have to be but people do wash show chickens?? I would be scared they would get chilled that young

3. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Give them a flat container, a few inches deep, filled with sand, peat moss or other material they can dust bathe in.
    I'd be afraid of chilling them too.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can wsh them but you'll want to make sure you do so in a really warm room. Put a space heater in your bathroom & get the room sauna warm. Wash them as you would any animal (lather, rinse, repeat) and then wrap them in a towel as you dry them on a low heat setting with a hair dryer.

Or just give them dirt & let them dirt bathe.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Chickens are clean creatures, they never get dirty in a clean environment water bath is not recommended, if their bedding is kept clean they manage to keep themselfs clean.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd either find a place for them to take a dust bath or make a dust bath for them in their brooder.
    Let them take care of their bathing. No chance of them getting chilled that way.

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I have tried giving my chicks a place to dust bath but they eat so much of the sand I have to take it out.

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    What are you feeding that causes them to get so dirty?

The only time I've gotten my chicks wet was cleaning paste butts and only if wet paper towels didn't work.

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Won't hurt them to eat some sand. I would't get them wet this young. If they are covered with food are you feeding somthing besides crumbles ?

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen posts here on BYC where people gave their chickens a bath and the chickens LOVED it. Right now, my kids are begging to give our white Silkies baths because of all the rain last weekend, our poor girls are kinda icky. I'm hesitant though.

2 week old chicks seem a bit young, unless you carefully dry them with a blow dryer and increase the brooder temp until they are thoroughly dry. I do think it's a little bit risky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by