1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I give this to my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by imogene08, Nov 30, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have a thing of yogurt called "Publix fruit on the bottom" it looks like normal yogurt just with the furit on the bottom I made sure to get away the fruit so can I give them the yogurt or to much sugar

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

my chickens love fruit and I heard that they love yogurt also. it won't hurt them to try it. If they like it, you found a new treat for your chickens.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they can have yogurt. It is good for them with the probiotics.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A lot of 'yogurts' have more sugar than probiotics...read the ingredients.

I don't think a lot of sugar is good for them....but as an occasional treat it won't hurt them.

5. Mybackyardgirls

Mybackyardgirls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I buy 'vegetarian' yogurt in a large container from Costco. My 4 hens LOVE yogurt and lick the plate clean. My thought is that the probiotic and calcium is good for them. They also get a large handful of spinach and mung bean sprouts daily. Not many greens in the yard this time of year. The egg shells are hard look beautiful.

What do your hens like to eat on a regular basis?

6. Dreyadin

Dreyadin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Mine discovered they love shredded cheese. [​IMG] I give a little to the dog as a treat every now and then. I dropped a few shreds on my way to the dog's bowl and the injured house bound rooster discovered it. For 10 minutes he went on like he won the lottery. Our daughter thought it was hilarious- showed her friends when they came over. It happened enough that he can identify the bag.

7. boise cluckers

boise cluckers New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Our chickens and duck eat Egg Layer Crumble and scratch grains daily, but they also love fruit, veggies, cereal, etc.. They know when it is time for the dogs to be fed as they all race to the garage where we keep the food at feeding time. So, I throw them a handful of dog food to pacify them. They also come and sit at the patio door begging for snacks. They are quite the characters, believe me.
    [​IMG]

8. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    My flock eats a Layer pellet with scratch.And of coarse gets all types of treats they love the seeds of Cantolope and wouldn't be surprised if they liked pumpkins seeds :p For Christmas I want to make a treat out of a pinecone or get some Watermelon with yogurt kinda like a cake with frosting.:p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    In

I understand this.Thats why I wanted to ask just in case it was ok to give them something that was normal then had fruit on the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by