Can I have a 2-3 week old chick put in with day- old chicks?

Op- are you sure that is a bantam? It looks just like the Russian Orloff chicks that I hatch, all the way to the line across the beak! I say sometimes nature answers the questions for us- one set of chicks is almost 2 weeks old and I had one hatch yesterday. Separated the brooder with a piece of cardboard. Different lights, wattages and heights for each side. Put the newly hatched on its side. Three times the 2 week olds were busted getting to the peeping loner baby. Next time the baby chick was missing, then found to have scurried under the barrier to be with the others! No fears my dear! It got along grand and the older ones had it eating and drinking within 8 hours of hatching whereas I usually don't even bother adding waterers until they are a day old at least. Try it and watch carefully as sometimes the bigger ones don't remember their size and plow over the little ones.

Hi arisha, my first chickens were given to me by grandson (moved) the rooster that came with them is a Buff Orpington (buff colored) and is name is "King"....this was 3 or 4 years ago..anyway he has been the "king" here and to prove it many yellow chickens...was given an astralorpe roo..well retired King to his own pen for a while ...added barred rock hens .. 4 astralorpe hens ... wonderful breeds .. each their own purpose...my favorite are the Orpingtons by far...so King is out of retirement .. in yard with the astralorpe and (JR) son of King .. 3 roos all getting along..great..(have 48 hens) just hatched 5 more orpingtons am so excited, plus 11 mixed others....bought 25 Isa Brown chicks for layers (favorite for eggs - huge- huge- beautiful) end of story...all will end up in a grow pen 10 x 20....at the age of 6 weeks, all chicks go to grow pen and do well...plenty room. I am in Louisiana also (south)

I just have to say... thank you so much for all the participation and information. I am hatching my first batch of chicks in a foam incubator, and am thinking i will need to start a new batch as soon as this batch hatches. I was wondering if I could mix the ages, and found this thread. So far all my questions have been answered by putting in my question in the search. I am looking forward to all the wonderful information and support this site has to offer. :) thanks from a newbe.

So glad this question was put out there. You can find anything on BYC! I have chicks 7 days old however they did not send me a couple of light Brahmas I ordered so I am anticipating them to be here next week. That will make my babies now 2 weeks old and them 1 day old. I don't have the room in the house for a 2nd brooder. I was hoping by watching them all would be well. I have other Brahmas and Cochins (which are half the size of the Brahmas. Still trying to figure that one out) SO I should be ok with that age diff?

Glad i came across this! I have six 1-2 week olds and so far 3 day olds (3/5 hatched in brooder so far). I'm guessing they should be ok to put together as long as I keep an eye on them?

Back
Top Bottom