Can i have a coop of ONLY roosters?

I have had over 30 roosters all in the same pen with around 40 hens.
smile.png

I had just adult Roos at first. It was fine till I introduced hens. It went south after that. Even if they were separate from the hens they still knew they were there and still fought.

that is so funny, My wife has a rooster obssesion she has 1 silkie, 1 showgirl, 1 black Orp, 1 splash orp, 1 turkey,1 leghorn and a frizzle roos all together, and I still don't know how she is doing it, and to top it off she did not even liked chickens, I was raced with them not her. they sleep togheter but free range during the day, it's crazy, Ohhhh and 2 little cockerels growing in there too
hu.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I have had over 30 roosters all in the same pen with around 40 hens.
smile.png

I totaly free range and that many roos verses hens would be a total disaster, i have processed 39 young roos in the last two days for my dogs they were ganging up on my hens and i have over 200 hens.

So how do you get this to work for you?

I have 15 roo's in a pen and they do fine.​

Quote:
I totaly free range and that many roos verses hens would be a total disaster, i have processed 39 young roos in the last two days for my dogs they were ganging up on my hens and i have over 200 hens.

So how do you get this to work for you?

I have 15 roo's in a pen and they do fine.

That was a while back, I don't have that many roosters anymore, however I did free range mine. They got along fine, just the normal pecking etc.
smile.png

We had to kill most of them though, we didn't have enough hens for all the roosters.
hmm.png

Hello
So I feel the NEED to REPLY to this post due to our HUGE Success with our "Red Rooster Run"!!!!
First off Please visit my website: www.BanavieBarns.webs.com
Second: We have taken in over a dozen roosters, different breeds, different ages. All free ranging in a small pasture with a 8' x 12' shed as a coop.
*This is over 12 roosters, no hens*
And they do GREAT!
We started taking in roosters when we continues to get so many requests to take roosters in, we could not say no. It's not the animals fault they are in need.

I believe because they have enough room to roam, they are not in each others faces too much and there are no hens to fight over that they don't have any issues with each others. The fence is a normal 3 post split rail horse fence, but we put 2" x 4" rectangle wiring on the inside of the fence. We have had a few dig under, so we used rocks in those areas to stop the digging. And we have had a few fly over, they only did that though when they had some thing to perch on, like a rain barrel or bath tub, to jump on and then jump on to the fence.
We have had no issues with hawks, or foxes or such.
The run is far enough away from the other flocks that they are not tempted to get out and join them. The distance helps keep them from getting excited and stimulated by the hens or roosters noise to fight with each other.

There is always a little spat between the new ones and the older more aggressive roosters of the flock.
But it is never any thing that results in blood drawn or me having to intervene.
*One of the best parts* - Other than the lack of eggs, its just like our other flocks (the ones with 2-3 roosters and a dozen hens), they are actually just as quiet as the hens with minimal to no crowing at all.

I hope this inspires others out there to give the roosters their chance at life.
We are currently taking in more roosters. However we are in Elkridge, MD, and will only meet up to 30 mins away.
You are welcome to drop them off and see the roosters.

Thanks for caring!

Last edited:
I had a pen of roosters last winter, and wouldn't recomend it! It WAS right next to the hen's pen though. I had about 18 roosters in it, and all of them were small EE Xs, about five months old. EXCEPT for two 10 month old Wyandotte roosters. Those two were constantly at it, and almost killed each other, before we finally butchered them.

One day, I went to collect the eggs and check on the chickens at around 5pm. At around 7pm, I went to lock them in their coops, and found a pullet lying in the corner who had somehow flown over the seven foot wall into the rooster pen. She was a mess! There was blood everywhere, her comb was barely attached to her head, and she was missing a lot of feathers from her head, neck and back. She kept on blinking away the blood out of her eyes. She could barely walk. I thought she wouldn't make it, but she did! Within a couple weeks, she looked perfectly normal! She never flew over that seven foot wall again though....
lol.png

Having a flock of roosters right next to flock a with hens is dangerous and would be unwise.
It would be like putting a whole bunch of in tack male dogs in a pen next to a female in heat. Or having multiple stallions in a pasture next to brood mares.
Our rooster run is on the other side of the property from the hens.
If done right a flock of roosters is safe, not only for the roosters them selves but for the visitors.
Good luck!

Last edited:
We just separated out most of the roosters and put them into their own yard - The Stinky Boyz Club as my wife calls it. Was one flock with 27 hens and 12 roosters, we pulled out 9 of the roos. Their yard is about 20x30 and they have their own coop to roost in. The rest of the flock is in a yard about 30x40, separated by a 10-foot gap with a hedge of shrubbery. They boys can still see the girls, and get pretty riled up whenever something is going on - there was a lot of crowing today! So far they don't seem to be fighting much, though they have their own pecking order just as the hens do. But they are still young, about 15 weeks. They look delicious but we won't be able to butcher any for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom