Can I have my rabbit live free-range?

I also have been free ranging my rabbits for years. They are spoiled rotten by being able to run around and get into my vegie garden. I've even found them in my compost which is placed really high, but figured they jump in.
We have a cat, dog and chickens and they all get along. I have seen the rabbit beat up a chicken over leftovers I've tossed out.
I've never had a problem with the neighborhood cats getting the rabbits. I did have a cat that took out 6 hens until I caught him comming out of the hen house one day. Lets just say my kids call me babe ruth as I keep a baseball bat handy.
We have lost a few rabbits to the owls that live in our palm tree, but the rabbits learn to stay in at night. I even had the owl carry off one of my chickens and end up dropping it in the neighbors yard as it was to heavy.
Make sure you leave enough food and water out as well as have plenty of shade as rabbits have problem with the heat. Our chicken house has an airconditioner and a small door that the rabbits can go into if it becomes to hot. It's really funny watching both of your meat products laying side by side in the yard. The rabbit pellets are a pain to pick up, much worse than chicken. They run around under the kids play set and I try to keep things clean.
They also give the neighbors a thrill when they go sun themselves in the front yard. We have a cinderblock wall all the way around and they still get out under the gate.
he.gif

They do stay in the yard though. They know where their next meal is coming from.
I have put my garden up on raised beds this year and have already caught them trying to jump in it. If you plan on having a garden prepare to fight for it.

QuackAddict101
Can't wait to try the rabbit recipe. If you have any others let me know as I usually just make a stew or fry it. I have to discuise the fact it's not chicken from our 14year old as I made the mistake of letting her have one for a pet.
hit.gif

Ruth
bun.gif

There is a lot more to free ranging then just letting them run loose. Proper free ranging is done in a controled evironment, where they are fenced in or even tractored. They would have to be protected from predators, and given space where they are getting adequate nutrition from the grasses and such. Generally its not recommended to do it unless you have gained some experience with raising rabbits and have done a lot of research on it. Otherwise, if you don't, you are just setting yourself for a lot of losses, and disaster. Rabbits that are let loose and not controlled can set up and breed in colonies where they can wreak havoc on the local ecosystem as well. that is providing they acting survive the weather. Which many aren't capable of doing. Its also against the law to turn them loose like that in many places. So I would suggest doing a lot of research on this, and maybe look into tractoring them first. With tractoring the bunnies are kept in a large pen, or cage, and are moved from one place to the next. They are also protected from the elements and predators. Yet can still freely move around and eat lots of grass.

Back
Top Bottom