Can I have my rabbit live free-range?

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello, there!

I have a female rabbit living in our coop. She's quite happy - bouncing about, but I thought she should live in the green, open spaces of our backyard, like our chickens. We have a few street cats visiting our house, but is it possible to have her live free-range?

Thanks in advance!

Good to hear! But I was wondering how to keep them from leaving the yard and from the catz. I'm thinking of letting the coop open so he can enter and go out whenever he wants.

More replies are appreciated!
smile.png

I let my rabbit run loose when I can be there with him. I have a fence so that limits his wanderings although I'm sure he could dig under if he wanted (and I wasn't looking). I'm pretty sure he'd do fine free ranging but I'm afraid. I don't know what to say about the cats. If he's a dwarf, I wouldn't chance it. However, leaving the coop open for him to go in and out does sound good. Why don't you do like me for a few days and stay with him. If all seems well, you can let him go on his own. I did see a HUGE rabbit in somebody's front yard recently and there was no fence!

Last edited:
Thank you!

Our yard is fenced, but the cats like to visit our yard. I'll be with her for a while then I'll let her live in the open. Thanks again!

I have a concern for you to think about. You are concerned about the cats and are going to leave the coop open for your rabbit to get in and away from them but, what is to keep the cats from following her in?

My friend Jen (who also lives in town) picked up 2 bunnies for her 3 y/o DD at the beginning of the summer. They kept escaping from the pen so she just let them stay out. The dozen or so stray cats that frequent her yard didn't mess with the rabbits at all. But we think the neighbors down the street had rabbit stew for supper last week.

I had a bunny free range in my yard once years ago. My cats and bunny all ate together and the bunny would try to breed the cats.
gig.gif

Bunnies can kick quite hard, so they may be able to defend themselves against the cats, not sure about a dwarf. I have a dwarf now, but he stays in the cage, but he can get pretty fisty at times. Bunnies do like to dig burrows sometimes though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmm the cats always ran from my rabbit because he thought they were his girlfriends. It was sad. I kept him in my yard but I had to put bricks all around the perimeter of my fence. He dug holes everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I will never have a rabbit again. Cute but oh so destructive.

i have 3 bunnies that free range 2 are dwarfs and the other is a mini rex . My yard is not fenced in but they do not leave my yard . I have coons,foxes,cyotes,fishe cats ,hawks and eagles and nothing bothers them .

Back
Top Bottom