Can I have some breed buying help?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ticks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    So I'm getting a few more chickens (who woulda guessed? [​IMG] )
    I am doing a special order with another BYC member (hobobrando) since the minimum order is 25, Hobo is going to get 20 Cornish x (hopefully) and I am goign to get 5 layers, then a few more at another store.

The special order (tsc) only allows to buy breed in quantities of 5. I have already ruled out Leghorns just because I can't stand them. But it is between Ameraucanas (which we know are really EE) or black Australorps.

I would like a bird that is adaptive, friendly, and a good BYC.

thanks [​IMG]

2. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen and she is soooo friendly! I never thought I would like one or ever have one, but now I'm going to have all Rhodies for my layers. I have 4 layers in my backyard.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

What color eggs do you want?

EEs lay such pretty eggs and will offer you a variety of colors, perhaps in both plummage and egg color. So I would vote for EEs. But I am a sucker for green/blue eggs, and EEs for that matter.

Good luck, and hands down, I bet you'll get more chickens. (unless you live where zoning won't allow it) [​IMG]

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Of the two breeds you mentioned, I would choose the Australorps. Mine are very friendly and in my opinion the better layer.

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Ticks, I meant to say, that many EEs have pea combs, which in New England is a really good thing, as larger combed breeds can be subject to frostbite.

Just another thought. My EEs have been super layers and are gentle sweeties I have no experience with Australorps. [​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My Australoprs and Ameraucanas lay the same amount and size egg. BA's brown, Amr's green. The Amer's are sillier and packed with personality, the BA's are sweeter and more afffectionate.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I don't care about egg color actually. I have read that BAs are better BYCs. Out of curiosity, what color eggs do BAs have?

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Ticks,

Get some of each! [​IMG]

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:This has been my experience as well.

Also, the fallen BA feathers look bad on my pine shaving floor. Probably not a big deal for most people, but I have to keep the coop in "petting zoo" condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by