Can I hear from the Akbash owners??

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
My neighbor was out horseback riding, and this dog came out of the woods. She's pretty skinny, she had outgrown her collar (it hadn't embedded, thank goodness!) and she seemed lost. She followed them several miles, back to their house and he was trying to chase her off. I had gone to pick up tack and check on the horses (they had borrowed 2 of ours) and saw her. I thought at first she was a Pyr mix. My little Bossy Terror
lol.png
went up to her, and I expected a fight. Ruby is Alpha all the way. She decided she liked her and brought her over to the car. I went ahead and took her and she is settled in at the house.

I realized that she wasn't a Pyrenees, but possible another type of LGD. I had found some pics of Akbash and she looks identical to that. She looks exactly like this dog --> http://www.greatdogsite.com/breeds/details/Akbash_Dog/ She is really really tall. She stood up on her hind legs and almost looked me in the eyes, and I'm almost 5'8"!! She's probably around 100 pounds, because I couldn't lift her very well to pick her up and put her in the car to take her home.

I took her around the property, she was interested in the chickens and geese, but didn't want to get too close. She was really interested in the goats and tried to stay clear of the pig. I've posted an ad on CL, and we'll see if anyone is looking for her. Plus, we live in a small community in the country, so if someone is missing her, they'll know I have her.

Anyway, I was looking for any information about training and temperment. I've read they need a strong Alpha leader and to know their boundaries. That's not a problem.
wink.png
I'm really looking to find what works the best as far as correction and reinforcement. She seems to be slightly food aggressive with the other 2 dogs. I worked on that after she lunged at one, and she seemed to understand it wasn't acceptable. She still growled, but didn't physically attack. She was not food aggressive with me or my son, or even the pig when she showed interest in his food. I really pushed her with being food aggressive with me. I don't tolerate that at all, and she immediately stopped eating when I grabbed at the food.

So...I'm hoping to keep her, she seems to "get it" and is a beautiful, sweet dog. She seems to be around 1 or 1 1/2 years old. Maybe younger? Never been bred that I can tell, but I haven't checked for a spay scar, yet, either.

I'd love to hear people's experiences with these kind of dogs!

Thanks!

Shelly

Regardless of the breed, sounds like she may be a good fit for your situation. Kinda hard to believe someone would dump a purebred Akbasch. They are not very common.
Hope all works out well for you!

I know there are breeders here in Oklahoma, some right down the road, so I don't think it would be as rare as it would in an area where there isn't a big livestock community. KWIM? You can go through my neighborhood and see Pyrs, Anatolians, Maremmas, and pretty much everything in between. Pyreneese aren't really that popular around here. I think due to the heat in summer, so the shorter haired LGDs are what you see more of.

Just the body type itself sounds like this dog. She has a body that is similar to a Great Dane, or a sight hound. Really long legs, deep chest. She is really graceful looking. Beautiful white coat, and a curled feathery tail. She's got the double dewclaws, too.

I really don't know what she is, and I don't care!
tongue.png
She's beautiful and smart and gentle and I hope that we can keep her.
fl.gif

If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone, I'll put them up here.

Shelly

When searching for her owners, be sure to put that she could be an Akbash or Pyrenees mix. Someone searching for a mutt won't know what an Akbash is, but someone searching for an Akbash would probably know to look for the other similar looking breeds. Be sure to contact local vets offices, and the nearest few animal shelters to report that you found him/her. You might also contact that local breeder, it is likely one of their dogs.

Good work on getting him/her somewhere safe.

Quote:
Oooh! I hadn't even thought of a microchip! I will do that on Monday. Thanks for the suggestion!

I checked for a spay scar today and she didn't have one. We have asked around and no one is missing her, so far.

Shelly

Last edited:
If nothing else, she sounds like pure LGD from what you've described so far. The double dew claws are a very strong indication to Pyrenees. While most LGD breeds are prone to get them, they are not as dominant on other breeds as on the GP. Chances are she's a blend of pyrenees and anatolian/akbash, great dogs all, crossed or pure. Also, the very fact that she was lost, is another strong indication to Pyrenees. Pure Akbash, maremmas and tatras are closer guarding than the anatolian, kangal and pyrenees. Good luck.

No microchip. She left for a day, and showed back up today. She is thinner, so I don't think she went "home". She ate like she was starving. I'm wondering if she was following some coyotes? I don't know. She came from the vacant 1000 acres behind us. Too bad she wasn't here yesterday...I had 2 strange dogs come into my immediate backyard and carry off my special chicken, MJ. By the time I got the gun, they were gone. I'm sure she would have kept them from even coming in the yard.

The vet said she was Akbash, and about 18 months old. It's the only vet in the town, and they didn't recognize her. He said he will check around and see if any other clinics in any of the other small towns around here know who she might belong to.

Shelly

I have a friend with an Akbash that used to get out a LOT. They started chaining her to a tire. Not a large one, just one that she had to work to pull around, and definitely couldn't get over a fence with her. It worked! She's learned her territory, and she doesn't leave their place anymore. They stopped using the tire a few months after they started. Just a thought, since you say you like her, and want her to stay! Akbash have a rep for roaming.

WHOOPS! I'm seeing now that this was 1/6 A YEAR AGO... Not this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom