Can I hug my chickens?

I pet mine and occasionally pick them up,but I would never kiss them.As long as you wash your hands and just in general be clean,you shouldn’t get sick.

I pet mine and occasionally pick them up,but I would never kiss them.As long as you wash your hands and just in general be clean,you shouldn’t get sick.
I kiss mine occasionally, just not if I know I’m going to be eating. People worry about salmonella more than it’s really an issue. I hug my chickens every day.

I kiss my pitbull. Shes another one of my babies though. I love my chickens but they'd never get the same love my pup does. I'm a true believer in Dog is a Man's best friend. My dog is not only my best friend, but my families protector. Plus even if a dog eats poop there are studies that show dogs have cleaner mouths than humans. To each his or her own I suppose.

You can't kiss and hug your poultry they say. Eh. I don't listen to that at all. Chickens are clean enough, just don't smooch their beaks if they have dirt on them. I kiss all my birds except the guinea. Those hairy black feathers protruding from his white neck are repulsive.
The health department don't know anything about our backyard flocks. They are not dirty layers crammed in cages and pooing on each other. My hens are very clean; they roam lush green grass, and take dust bathes daily!:D
Who can resist loving on that little bantam who hops up on your knee? Or a bright eyed hen who crouches to let you pick her up? I do recommend not kissing your ducks after they take bathes in poopy water. I've gotten salmonella, e coli, or parasites or something twice. Red hot daggers twisting in my insides, horrific cramps after kissing my ducklings earlier in the day. Now I kiss them only when they are dry.

I kiss my pitbull. Shes another one of my babies though. I love my chickens but they'd never get the same love my pup does. I'm a true believer in Dog is a Man's best friend. My dog is not only my best friend, but my families protector. Plus even if a dog eats poop there are studies that show dogs have cleaner mouths than humans. To each his or her own I suppose.
I kiss our mini red longhair doxie Ruby, but I refuse all kisses and slobbery licks from Chase our German Shepherd. He's an outdoor dog, and while we love him dearly, we don't hug or keep in close contact with him. Reasons being: He sleeps in the manure pile, licks up chicken dumps, chews rotten deer and cow legs, eats mice, enjoys a horse poop lunch, and carries a host of burrs and ticks.
He's a farm dog all the way!

I was reading that the CDC said not to hug your chickens because they can carry salmonella, but I keep finding videos of people hugging and kissing their chickens. Is it a major deal to hug your chickens?
P.S.- I have 2 silkies and they are super fluffy, I can’t resist hugging them. I know I bathe my silkies and fluff them up every month or so. Does bathing them get rid of some diseases?
HUG THEM!! the Government also tells us that vaccines help people, but they have been proven to cause autism, especially in children.:mad::tongue

Back
Top Bottom