Can I inject Tylan 50 in the leg muscle?

help... I was trying to give a hen Tylan 50 and succeeded twice in the breast with the help of my son holding her... the third and last I did on my own thinking I knew what i was doing but got ruffled and injected in the thigh instead where it felt meatier... now she is lame? prognosis, any one... I'm so mad at myself. Duh. stupid stupid stupid. Anybody with experience please let me know what went wrong? did I hit a nerve? will she recover... what never to do again and in general precautions I can follow in the future.

help... I was trying to give a hen Tylan 50 and succeeded twice in the breast with the help of my son holding her... the third and last I did on my own thinking I knew what i was doing but got ruffled and injected in the thigh instead where it felt meatier... now she is lame? prognosis, any one... I'm so mad at myself. Duh. stupid stupid stupid. Anybody with experience please let me know what went wrong? did I hit a nerve? will she recover... what never to do again and in general precautions I can follow in the future.
Hopefully she is better by now? I give mine in the thigh. I do 1/2 inch sideways/straight. Not just straight in.

Thank you for asking. She seems to be recovering slowly and I think will end up being fine... I tried letting her out for awhile the other day before the storm and found her standing pitifully at my front door waiting to come back in... the walking had around aggravated it again so back in she came for another week. Hopefully she will be out with the flock after the snow melts a bit. I have gone over and over it in my mind and I think I went in too straight and too deep. I have no business giving an injection without someone holding the bird for me... just don't have the skill. Not like its something I do every day!

There are two areas on a chicken where injections are easy and safe and the chickens' calf (drumstick) and its thigh are not those two places. If giving injectables inter-muscularly stick syringe in the LEFT hand breast and in the direction facing AWAY from the chicken's head. If giving an injection sub dermal (under the skin) the BACK of the neck is the best location, again facing away from the head. I am likely wrong but I can not think of any injectables that must be given in, or under a chicken's layer of fat, in other words subcutaneously. I also don't know of any chicken drugs that are given intravenously or in a vein or artery.

The reason to give injections in the left breast is to avoid poking a hole in the crop.
If the medicine is not to thick to draw up easily into the syringe, a 50 unit insulin syringe works well.
Just use a syringe and needle appropriate for a chicken sized animal, we are not harpooning Moby Dick here.
Remember easy does it. If you push too fast most of the drug will spurt out around the needle, also you my need to stick twice or more to give the whole dose without loss.

Study up on.... "aspirating blood when giving injections".... and you will likely then know about as much about giving injections to poultry as your vet.

Try Penicillin or Combiotic for what ails you rooster.
Wouldn't it have been better or easier to dub his comb and wattles before all this happened?

Back
Top Bottom