Can I introduce some new Barred Rock chicks to a Brood of Production reds?

Yes the babies will need access to heat but with your temperatures, they can be off heat completely at around 3 weeks.

Do you have electricity to your coop or run? I brood outdoors, in sight of the adults, to make for a more "natural" integration. It sounds like you have sufficient space to do that easily, if you set up for it.

My article on early integration, with several others linked at the bottom: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Chicks need warmer temps than that and the adults will just kill them. They won't care that they're babies

Thanks. I will wait a bit then. I can add a warming light if needed on one end of the coop to keep the temps up.

The best method I have found to integrate new younger birds to an established flock is to keep the younger birds in or next to the coop inside a large dog crate for at least two weeks. I have had very good success with adding new birds to the flock with next to no bullying or aggressiveness from the existing birds.

You may need to wrap the crate in chicken wire to prevent pecking. Take the bottom tray and use it as a cover on top of the crate. After the two or so weeks have past you can start letting the younger birds mingle with the older birds for a few hours. Just be sure to supervise them to watch for bullying or anything like that. Some minor pecking and chasing is to be expected on the first time out. Step in only if an older bird is being overly aggressive or not backing off after a few seconds. Each day you let them mingle increase the time by an hour or so and after another week of supervised mingling you should be able to allow them to have full run and can remove the crate.

If you have the materials to do so, make a drop in door for the crate with a pass-through that's just big enough for the younger birds so they can zip in if they feel threatened. It may take showing them the pass-through a few times before they get it down.
Do you think I can keep any chicks in a pet carrier inside the coop? That might simplify things a bit.

Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom