Can I just let a hen hatch the eggs?

LindsayRae

Songster
8 Years
Jun 16, 2015
Southern Pines, NC
Isnt it possible to let a hen hatch a few eggs this spring? What are the downsides? I have 4 hens and one rooster. I somehow got 5 eggs today. . and was thinking it would be fun to let a few hatch. I live alone and have been getting a ton of eggs. If I mark them, and just keep pulling the eggs that are fresh. . . Wouldnt that work? I guess all these incubators and stuff make me think chickens dont hatch eggs any more! Let me know! !Thanks

Isnt it possible to let a hen hatch a few eggs this spring? What are the downsides? I have 4 hens and one rooster. I somehow got 5 eggs today. . and was thinking it would be fun to let a few hatch. I live alone and have been getting a ton of eggs. If I mark them, and just keep pulling the eggs that are fresh. . . Wouldnt that work? I guess all these incubators and stuff make me think chickens dont hatch eggs any more! Let me know! !Thanks
If you have a broody hen, sure. Once you are sure she's dedicated to sitting mark the eggs you want her to sit on and make sure that you take any new ones that show up in the nest daily, out.

Not all hens go broody. A lot depends upon on what breed of birds you have. If they are Buff Orpingtons (looking at your avatar) they may very well go broody. The drawback to letting a hen hatch and rear chicks is that roughly 50% will be cockerels.

If you have a broody hen, sure. Once you are sure she's dedicated to sitting mark the eggs you want her to sit on and make sure that you take any new ones that show up in the nest daily, out.

Okay great! I have a cochin that spends a bit extra time laying on everyone's eggs. I think she'll easily become broody if I leave some egss in there. Thanks a lot!

Not all hens go broody. A lot depends upon on what breed of birds you have. If they are Buff Orpingtons (looking at your avatar) they may very well go broody. The drawback to letting a hen hatch and rear chicks is that roughly 50% will be cockerels.

Wow 50%! I have a weird mix of chickens. My rooster is the only Buff Orpington. The others are barred rock two EE/AmeruWhatevers, and a cochin. So.. . .It's be interesting to see some mix chickies!

Wow 50%! I have a weird mix of chickens. My rooster is the only Buff Orpington. The others are barred rock two EE/AmeruWhatevers, and a cochin. So.. . .It's be interesting to see some mix chickies!
I LOVE my mixes. Some of them are so darn pretty-and different. I must be lucky. I let my bantam hatch out 3 eggs last October and got 3 girls.
big_smile.png

That is awesome!! My big rooster is so gorgeous and the hens are all so unique(to me), that the mixes will be so neat! Im pretty excited now- Do you have to separate the chicks once they hatch, or just let them join on in the feather family?

That is awesome!! My big rooster is so gorgeous and the hens are all so unique(to me), that the mixes will be so neat! Im pretty excited now- Do you have to separate the chicks once they hatch, or just let them join on in the feather family?
My three did fine right out in the coop with mommy. I did have them in a cage in the coop for hatch and the first couple days after so the others didn't try to move her to lay eggs because all my hens seem to think they all need to lay in the same exact place. After day two I opened the cage door and she did great at mothering and protecting them. They aren't the friendliest let me touch them birds, but for once I didn't have to integrate them into the flock either.

Can I ask how this turned out? Did you hatch some and how was the process? I'm thinking of doing the same this spring with my buff orp roo and barred rock.
@AmyLynn2374 so did you just let the chicks stay in the coop with the rest of older flock from a day or two old? No need to protect them from the other hens?

Back
Top Bottom