can I just vent?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hoppy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    went to a "farm days" swap today. got all set up and this guy that I know from the poultry club comes up to me looking over my silkies, then says he will offer me $5 for that one. I told him the price is $15 and he says, " well when you can't sell them, come see me" I told him I wouldn't because I sell them that for the price all day long and I have grand champions, (so he's nuts).

so he then looks over the 2 blacks I have, says he likes one and will take it for $15 then, "oh heck I'll take both of them if you just hold them until I sell some of my birds"
    ok, I don't normally do that (especially after someone insults me with a lowball offer) but he's a club member.. so I do. then later in the morning he's packing to leave, I go up to him about the silkies and he says he's changed his mind doesn't want them but if I get any with big heads and little bodies..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I could have sold those birds several times over the day and instead I had to take them home as it was closing time :angry

I know, I will not hold birds for anyone with out money in hand!!! I learned, I never do that, boy am I PO'd!!!

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Very frustrating! Well, like you said, you won't ever do that again for someone. Sounds like he was a bit of a jerk. [​IMG]

3. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Sounds like he did it on purpose because you wouldn't sell them to him for $5.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Don't feel bad. [​IMG] There will always be another time.
    Next time you shouldn't hold the birds without a deposit. He was probably just being a jerk and knew that he wasn't going to buy them in the first place. People can be real jerks. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd report his behavior to the president of the club. What a jerk!

6. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Almost the same thing happened to me today. I guy said he needed to run to the ATM and would I hold 8 BCMs for him. I said okay and sat them back. Thirty minutes later I put them back up for sale and sold all but one. He never did show back up. Glad I gave up on him and didn't end up not selling any of them.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What a jerk! [​IMG]
    Next time someone wants you to save bird to the end of the day, at least demand a deposit.

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    It also sounds to me that he did it on purpose as a revenge type deal. Some people are like that, and I try to avoid them like the plague.

I would still hold, just take the money before hand with a signed agreement that the money is yours if they change their mind. That's how our good will works even if you hold something.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    one thankful thing is that I have another swap tomorrow (same location) and I know he won't be there since he sold out. I just hope we have a good turnout- never had a 2 days swap at this location and they didn't really advertise. (they couldn't even find their "pet event" sign so I had to use mine that I bring to all the poultry swap even though this was not just a poultry swap.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:While you were holding your chickens for him, he sold all of his? I'm thinking very evil thoughts about this fella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by