Can I keep a few turkeys in my guinea pen.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rhinomeadows, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rhinomeadows

rhinomeadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Atoka, OK
    I have a friend that has way too many turkeys and she is wanting me to take a few. I have never had turkeys and was wondering if it would be safe for everybody for me to put the turkeys in the same pen with the guineas. I believe they eat the same feed and my guinea pen is pretty big. If I could get out of building another pen. What do you think about it?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How big is pretty big for the size of the pen? How many guineas do you have and how many turkeys are you thinking about getting?

3. rhinomeadows

rhinomeadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Atoka, OK
    I have a 16x16 pen for 8 guineas and I am just wanting maybe 3 turkeys. If this is not enough room, How much space would 3 turkeys need to be happy and healthy? Also I let the guineas out during the day to free range. Are turkeys docile enough to let out and then get them back in at night for protection?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We have our turkeys and guineas together with no problems. Of course ours free range with all the other stuff on the farm.
    Someone else will have to help with the coop size as ours don't use a coop, they roost in the sweet gums at the rear of the property.

5. BAMACK2

BAMACK2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Spring Lake NC
    I keep guineas and turkeys together 8 guineas and a pair of turkeys in a 8Wx8hx16L run I free range each pen weekly rotating pens

6. apronann

apronann Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Missouri Ozarks
    My Coop
    I put my 3 guineas and one turkey in a pen together, and the guineas are picking on the turkey. the male guinea chases the turkey around and pulls her feathers out. I am going to have to separate them, I'm afraid. Or will it pass? I'm new to guineas and turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by