Can I keep Chukars and/or pheasants in with the chickens?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ChickenCharmer, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    This Is A Bad Idea ( And Yes I Know I'm Gonna Take Heat On This From Others Around Here)

1. Chickens, Turkeys, And Ducks Can Carry Diseases That Gamebirds Have Limited Or No Immunity To--- The End Result Is A Gamebird Population That Gets Whiped Out While The Chicken Roommates Never Show An Ounce Of Illness.

2. Different Nutritional And Environmental Requirements--- Gamebirds Usually Require Different Nutrition And Housing Arrangements Than Chickens

3. Differing Behaviors--- Gamebirds Can Be Either A Small Plaything For Your Chickens Or The Meanest Lil Junkyard Dogs In The Pen --- Depending On The Mix This Can Go Either Way.... The Result Is Wounded Animals And The Associated Problems

These Are Just A Few Of The Key Reasons. As I Said In Opening I'll Take Heat On This, I Always Do--- Invariably There Are Exceptions To Every Rule In This World And Each Person Has Their Own Ways Of Doing Things--- But If Truely Thought Out You'll See Some Of Reasoning Here Pretty Quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by