Can I keep courtinix and bobwhite quail together?

Little Red Birds

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
Hello, I am very new to quail and have only raised two courtinix so far. As of right now, I am looking into getting more courtinix and some bobwhite. Before I get bobwhites though, I would like to know if it would be safe to keep the two species together. I would be getting straight run juvenile snowflake bobwhites from a local-ish breeder (they live about an hour away) along with courtinix from another local breeder. I know that during the breeding season the bobwhites need to be paired off, but in the winter could they all be together? I will most likely be building them an aviary and the courtinix would be in there year round while the bobwhite only when it wasn’t breeding season. I am open to ANY information!! Thanks!

Hello, I am very new to quail and have only raised two courtinix so far. As of right now, I am looking into getting more courtinix and some bobwhite. Before I get bobwhites though, I would like to know if it would be safe to keep the two species together. I would be getting straight run juvenile snowflake bobwhites from a local-ish breeder (they live about an hour away) along with courtinix from another local breeder. I know that during the breeding season the bobwhites need to be paired off, but in the winter could they all be together? I will most likely be building them an aviary and the courtinix would be in there year round while the bobwhite only when it wasn’t breeding season. I am open to ANY information!! Thanks!

Nope, sorry. Gotta build two separate enclosures. Very different birds. People have anecdotally raised individuals together for a time but they will not play nice on a large scale.

(Hope this doesn't put you off both! They're lovely birds, hopefully you can find space).

Thank you! This helps a lot with the budgeting. I am in 4 h and a few of my friends and I are trying to make quail a “thing” in our poultry club. I honestly love both bobwhite and courtinix and am willing to do whatever is best for them. Do you have any suggestions on spacing for both breeds and the height I should make the enclosures? I currently have my male courtinix (the female was recently caught by a predator) in a 2 foot tall 4 foot long hutch with straw on the bottom.

I've never had issues and my ceilings are 18" tall, but it is kind of in the danger zone where they can build up a bit of speed and hurt themselves. If you're building a walk in aviary I'd go 7-8ft tall and install a springy soft netting roof just below the actual one. Losing birds to broken necks is rare but it's so heartbreaking it's best to just design to minimize it from the outset if you can.

Your plan sounds awesome! If I were you I'd stick to coturnix for a year and then add bobs in a new setup. Cots are a hair easier and that might help more people get into them.

Thank you so much! We love our little male (Pepper) and are really worried about him being lonely so we are trying our hardest to get ahold of the breeder! Salt (his late sister) was pulled through by a coon and my little sisters went out to find her like that... what ratio of male to female would you say for courtinix?

For laying flocks, ~1:8-10, for breeding groups, 1:3-4. But with the latter you'll probably want smaller size groups and pens. Otherwise all the males pick the same favorite lady. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom