1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I leave my ducks out all day?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zchryjmsbnntt, Feb 26, 2017.

1. zchryjmsbnntt

zchryjmsbnntt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    So in about three weeks, I will be completely fencing in my 1/2 acre yard with 6ft board on board privacy fence. I have three Pekin females that are cooped up all day because I work 10hrs a day 4 days a week. The only time I let them roam out of their pen in yard is when I am home or doing yard work obviously.

My question is this: would there be any harm in letting the girls roam free when I am not home ONCE I have the privacy fence in? I would obviously continue to lock them up safely each night.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    There's always the chance they will get taken by a predator when you're not home to watch over them. If you're fine with this risk, then yes, you can let them out. If you're not, build them a secure run that they can be in when you're not home.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - it really comes down to what your personal level of comfort with risk is. I fall in the "willing to take a loss here and there if it happens" category - but understand those who are not able to bear the thought of a single loss, and for those folks security at all times is the way to go.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep, I only let mine out if I'm home to watch them......Stray dogs, Birds of prey, or anything come to mind......A risk for sure.....

Cheers!

5. zchryjmsbnntt

zchryjmsbnntt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    We're partly fencing in the yard because my girls have quickly become the "neighborhood ducks." If I'm inside and not monitoring, you'll see them through the front window just waddling down the road like it's no big deal :lol:. We've also had a couple run-ins with stray dogs chasing after them in our yard but they haven't been harmed or anything. Just seemed more shocked.

Birds of prey, I personally haven't seen any around. I think they mostly stay away because my dog (god love her) is a barker lol. She's LOUD lol. What kind of bird would go after a duck though? I have pekin and I think they're on the larger size. I've heard of hawks going after chickens but those are generally smaller than ducks.

Thanks for the replies though! I'm like to feel out other people's opinions :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hawks and Ravens are terrible....Ravens killed my friends Runner Duck last spring....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by