Can I leave my ducks out all day?

zchryjmsbnntt

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
So in about three weeks, I will be completely fencing in my 1/2 acre yard with 6ft board on board privacy fence. I have three Pekin females that are cooped up all day because I work 10hrs a day 4 days a week. The only time I let them roam out of their pen in yard is when I am home or doing yard work obviously.

My question is this: would there be any harm in letting the girls roam free when I am not home ONCE I have the privacy fence in? I would obviously continue to lock them up safely each night.

Last edited:
There's always the chance they will get taken by a predator when you're not home to watch over them. If you're fine with this risk, then yes, you can let them out. If you're not, build them a secure run that they can be in when you're not home.

There's always the chance they will get taken by a predator when you're not home to watch over them. If you're fine with this risk, then yes, you can let them out. If you're not, build them a secure run that they can be in when you're not home.

X 2 - it really comes down to what your personal level of comfort with risk is. I fall in the "willing to take a loss here and there if it happens" category - but understand those who are not able to bear the thought of a single loss, and for those folks security at all times is the way to go.

We're partly fencing in the yard because my girls have quickly become the "neighborhood ducks." If I'm inside and not monitoring, you'll see them through the front window just waddling down the road like it's no big deal :lol:. We've also had a couple run-ins with stray dogs chasing after them in our yard but they haven't been harmed or anything. Just seemed more shocked.

Birds of prey, I personally haven't seen any around. I think they mostly stay away because my dog (god love her) is a barker lol. She's LOUD lol. What kind of bird would go after a duck though? I have pekin and I think they're on the larger size. I've heard of hawks going after chickens but those are generally smaller than ducks.

Thanks for the replies though! I'm like to feel out other people's opinions :)

Back
Top Bottom