Can I legally do this?

polk county

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
There is a public lake in the downtown area. At this lake is a large flock of indian runner ducks always waiting to be fed. I would like raise some at my place. I wonder how much trouble I would get in If I caught some and brought them home. After all who owns these ducks? There non native so they arent protected my any laws.
Any ideas. I doubt calling the city would get me very far.

You might get some strange looks, but I think you can. Seems like abandoned ducks aren't high on the priority list for officials. They really don't belong there. I have considered picking some up from my local pond as well. There are two gorgeous Kahki drakes and an old Muscovy hanging out there... You could always put in a couple of calls to be sure.

You just have to find out if they are fed by the state or not. Some parks will hire duck/goose keepers who tend to their needs. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.. Ask the groundskeeper maybe? With my 50 ducks, the Park Rangers actually wanted them gone and didn't care what we did with them, since dumping ducks is illegal and they can interrupt natural breeding processes.

If they aren't fed by the state, I think taking a few is fair game, especially because they might get around to eliminating them. People will look at you strangely, so you might want to do it at night or something when they'll be easier to catch anyways. Good luck!

I agree with Puddle Foot, ask the park rangers or groundskeeper if they are maintained by the park...If you are told no, then by law they belong to no one and are considered abandoned and you should have no reprecussions with 'rehoming'
wink.png
a few of them.

Back
Top Bottom