Can I lock them in the coop for 5 days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shaela, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Shaela

Shaela Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    Hi all! New chicken mama here with a question. I have 5 chicks/pullets, about 4/5 weeks old. Right now they are still in the brooder in my house but without any heat and doing fine. We are building the coop outside next week but don't plan to move them out till they get all their feathers. Half of them are almost all the way there.

Here is my situation: At the end of April, we will be out of town for 5 days. They'll be about 8/9 weeks old. I have heard that when moving chicks from brooder to coop it's a good idea to "lock them in" to reaffirm that the coop is now home and to encourage them to return to it at night. I have a neighbor with chickens who can come over once a day to check their food and water, but otherwise I'd like to keep them locked in the coop while we're gone. Will they be ok like that? And should I wait to move them to the coop until we actually leave? I would like to move them out as soon as I can, but I'm afraid they'll get confused or resentful if they have access to both the coop and the run for a week or two and then suddenly get locked into the coop.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How large is the coop? Do you have a pic? If they have space and enough air flow, aren't going to get too hot, they should be okay. It would be better to have the neighbor come twice a day to let them out and lock them back up, but sometimes you work with what you have..

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think that if the coop is large and well ventilated enough as mentioned above, they should be fine with someone checking on them once a day.

How big is your coop (feet by feet)? A pic would be great.

If the run is secure and your neighbor is willing to do the twice a day thing, then that would be good too.

I'd move them out as soon as the coop is built, depending on your climate (putting your location in your profile helps folk give better answers).

Keep them in the coop a couple days, then let them out to the run a couple days, then leave them in the coop a couple days so they get used to either situation.

Resentful??...pfft!!....they'll get over it.

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

Agreed

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    besides if your going to raise chickens you'll get used to them cussin you out if their not happy about something. like if you are 10 minutes late with the scratch.

6. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Or, if you go take care of the dogs, horses and rabbits before you get to them. Mine fuss at me the whole time and I just tune them out. They're spoiled rotten anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by