1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I make new coop into brooder outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jkioneil, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I have 3 week old chicks and a brand new coop no adult hens and I was wondering if I could put chicks in coop closed up with a light outdoors and use it as the brooder?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Plenty of folks brood outside - provided the coop is draft free, secure, properly ventilated and can provide an appropriately temperate area for their stage of feathering there is no reason not to.

3. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon

[​IMG]

This is the coop I was just going to close it up other than vent Windows and hang light at top? Any suggestions?

4. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    My 2 week olds are in a dog kennel wrapped in insulation board. That is topped with clear toughtex and the entire thing is in my barn. I'm in NY so it's still chilly here.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My 2 week olds are in a dog kennel wrapped in insulation board. That is topped with clear toughtex and the entire thing is in my barn. I'm in NY so it's still chilly here.[/quote

Mine are in a dog kennel too. I put cardboard up the sides. About 1/2 way up. My dog kennel is more of a large dog cage cause it has a top. They have shavings with paper towels on top.my heat is the Brinsea brooder.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You may wish to check out the "Mamma heating pad - picture heavy" thread for an alternative means of providing warmth in an outside brooder / coop.

All the best
    CT

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Thanks. I almost did that. I think it's a really nice way to brood. My heat Matt wasn't true to temp. It was actually a seed germination Matt with thermostat but it wasn't reading correctly so I got the brinsea brooder. I'm really happy with it but my big dog cage is actually in my bathroom and not outside. I'm not sure it would work well outside. Thanks for the tip..next batch I may try that method with a better pad of course one that's true to temperature :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't worry about closing the coop. At 3 weeks, the birds are old enough to utilize the run and learn to use the ramp. You may be moving chicks inside in the evening for a few nights until they figure it out, but they'll learn pretty fast.

I have a mix of ages in an outdoor pen with a heat lamp. I think the youngest are Cornish cross, about 2 weeks old right now, up to some barred Rocks and red sex links about 6 weeks old. They're using the entire pen and the older ones are starting to use the roosts. I even unplug the heat lamp during the day, it's been so warm here.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A regular heat lamp in that space (especially closed up) will become too hot, especially for3 week olds ..as suggested above, a heat pad or, alternatively, a regular bulb, etc would be a better choice for a heat source. Leave the coop open and let them access the run, they will return to the heat for a warm up as needed

10. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    That's awesome thanks I will look into that thread! I'm so excited to put our coop together and get them out of my living room!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by