Can I mix 3 week old chicks with day-olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhensny, Mar 2, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I just got 4 Australorps, 2 Wesummers & 2 Bantam Blue Cochins. They will be 3 wks old when I get 20 silkie chicks. Can they go in the same brooder?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Nope. Not until they can defend themselves at an older age.

I would put some kind of divider, like a plexiglass divider that way they can see each other but not go pick on them. It all depends on the size of the brooder too.

Good luck!

3. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I just did. I had 3 2.5 week old Barred Rocks and got 2 RIR and 4 Americanas. Put them all in the home made brooder anad all is well. The little one even chase the big guys around!!

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I would at least wait to mingle them until the newbies are really eating and more stable on their feet...I wait 1 week to put little babies in with started babies...

5. happyhensny

Thank you Ewesheep, Bosshog & MrsEvans. I currently have the 8 and I am ordering 25 silkies. I will put a divider in the brooder (hardward cloth) and see what happens when they see each other. Hopefully they will get along. I keep them in my living room so I would rather not need TWO brooders. My DH isn't into animals, he just patronizes me! [​IMG] So, low profile ya know. He does realize that I am going to need a bigger coop. He built the last one and will probably build this one if I can't find a built or ready to build shed kit cheap or free.

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I read in Storrey's Guide To Raising Chickens that you can keep chicks together as long as they are within three weeks in terms of age. I also know that the more young ones you have, the less they will be picked on by the older ones.

Everyone else's advice seems good, and I haven't experienced this myself, so I'm just giving the other side of the argument.[​IMG]

7. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I seperated the brooder with a piece of plexiglass. The older chicks (2 week old barred rocks) could look over and see the young chicks. (Day old). I kept them apart for about a week. Both sides kept trying to get to the other side. So I took at the plexiglass. No problems to speak of so far.

I now have eggs in the bator that are due on the 16th. I will have to put them in another brooder.

Darin

8. happyhensny

Thanks! I will post what happens after I get them. CAN'T WAIT!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I think I read on here baby chicks can have oatmeal also I'm sure someone on BYC can tell you if they can.

10. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Here is a picture of my 3 week old Barred Rocks and my 4 day old EE and RIR.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by