Can I move the brooder outside yet?

itsjustjen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I am curious to see if it is possible for me to have my brooder on my backporch at all with a heatlamp on 24/7 or should I keep them indoors? Tomorrow the highs will be hovering around 80 and I thought I would give them some outside time in their new brooder but then do I need to pull it inside when the temps drop or can I keep it outside? Do I need a second lid over my mesh wire lid?

Can you tell I am new at this whole chicken thing?

Last edited:
How old are the babies? Whether or not they can have some fun in the sun depends entirely on how feathered they are. With temperatures being that nice you could certainly put the brooder out, provided the were protected from drafts and away from strong direct light. At minimum I would go no earlier then 3-4 weeks of age, my recommended being 5-6 weeks. I would leave the heat lamp on if they're closer to 3-4 weeks, possibly adjusting the height so you don't cook them or freeze them out. I would recommend a second lid only if it's a concern for drafts.

If you plan on having your brooder outside at night you need to consider temperature stability, power security, predator protection, and weatherproofing. If you can keep it warm enough for their age category at all times, predator-proof it, ensure that it won't suffer from power outages, and won't get wet or drafty, by all means, go for it.

Just my thought anywho.

Quote:
They are just about 2-3 weeks roughly ( not 100% sure. 2 have major wing feathers and tail feathers just started to bud ) 1 has it's wings growing in.

I think for now I will keep them indoors and possibly give them 10 mintues outside tomorrow afternoon when we are supposed to be in the low 80's.

I went out today and bought a proper heat lamp instead of my light bulb suspeneded from my shower curtain rod and built a much larger and much needed brooder with a divider to seperate the duckling ( soon to be ducklings ) and the chicks. We are planning on getting at least 2 or 3 more chicks and the other duckling so they aren't lonely or too cold.

If it's 80 degrees, they won't get cold at that age. Go ahead and put them outside (protected of course) and let them sunbathe. (just don't freak out and think they are dead)

I just moved my 11 chicks out to the brooder in the shop. They are 16 days old. That brooder is an old chest type freezer with the top removed. We built a new top with a 1 x 4 lumber frame covered with hardware cloth. I put two brooder lights (one 250 watt red bulb and one 75 watt bulb) over the brooder--in case one bulb should burn out. Our temp. last night was near freezing, but the chicks were in the warm 80-85 degree brooder with no problems.
wink.png

I moved my brooder to the garage yesterday, it's probably 40 degrees at night and 60 to 70 degrees during the day, and I have a 250 watt heat lamp going 24/7. My chicks are 3 weeks old. Last night was their first night out there, and they seem just fine
big_smile.png

If it was 80 degrees here during the day, my little group would be out pronto!!
smile.png
My babies are 2 and 3 weeks, and spent the day outside (INSIDE their little coop w/a lamp of course). We hit 60 degrees and it was sunny, but it was just too windy to try "real" outdoor time for a bit. I just brought them back in the house to their brooder. I will probably begin keeping them in their little coop 24/7 by next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom