Can I move this squab?

TreeHugger

Songster
Apr 7, 2008
One pair of my pigeons decided to nest in one of the 10' by 10' kennels that I use as an extra pen for my chickens. It's my fault since I left the gate open to it, but now I'd really like to use that kennel. I'm concerned that if I move the squab into the pigeon coop the parents might abandon it. This is the first time I've had little ones so I'm not sure how the parents will react. The pigeon coop and run is enclosed & that is where the extra pen is located so the parents can't fly off and I'm not concerned about predators. Should it be OK to move this little guy into the coop with the rest of the squab?

Here is the little guy in question; it's an english trumpeter squab:
8554_picture_214.jpg

gorgous baby ! i raise English Trumpeters myself
smile.png

I have moved squab before no problem and then had problems like abandonement with others it all depends on the parents the ones i have had abandoned were young first time parents so i had to handfeed the squab when it was abandoned

My breeding birds with muffs cut
81374_phg_pics_014.jpg

81374_phg_pics_016.jpg

Thanks. Paige you have some beautiful birds. I love my english trumpeters, I think it's funny that they will "waddle" as fast as they can to get out of my way instead of just flying. They are very docile and easy to handle pigeons. I've decided to wait until next Friday to move him/her, worse case scenario I won't have to hand feed very long in case the parents do abandon it. I'm amazed on how fast the little boogers grow up!

you could put in new nest, get the parent used to it, then move them all and it might work better. i never have issues though, as i just so far foster eggs and chicks out to my ringnecks, and continue to be fed till i separate to wean other wise the baby pigeons seem like theyll kill the doves with eagerness to feed, and try to swallow their heads. the albinos i have seem kinda bad sighted and stupid, but caring fosters, so maybe they cant see well enough to notice giant pigeon in with the three baby doves of theirs, while the blond and dark ringnecks seem to know when to wean, and toss bad eggs (as the turtle doves will set till the eggs break creating a rotten gooey mess if i dont candle every so often, keep them colder, and toss bad eggs). ive heard pideons are even better than doves, so curious how my fancy ones, or even some feral fosters would do.. ???

I think it depends on the pair and whether or not they are very tame and pets. Normally, if you move a nest or babies from where the parents started raising them, they won't recognize them in a new spot as their own. In my opinion, it's best not to move any nests or babies to a new location and unless you're ready to hand feed.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom