What to do?

Pigeon67

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
My wife kept pigeons when she was younger. They were Birmingham Roller mixes that she's had over 10 years. When we lived with her parents we used fake eggs to try and keep the numbers down. We moved out 2.5 years ago and the population has exploded. We can't bring the pigeons with us, and can't get over there on a regular basis to let them out. They have a horrible quality of life. I can't see anyone being willing to adopt them in the local area. Would it be possible to release them in the spring in an area where a local wild flock lives? Foods plentiful in the spring, and I'm hoping that if we wait until the leaves come in it'll give them the best chance. Our in-laws want them off their property. It's a sad situation, just want to do the best we can for the birds.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances . If released into the wild they will become food for the Cooper's hawks. Do these birds perform - roll? If so you might find a fancier interested in them.

Are you able to separate the males from the females? I agree, even with a wild flock, they will be quickly picked off by predators. Domestic pigeons stand out even more when they’re with a flock of street-smart feral pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom