Can I put 3 roosters (no hens) in one pen?

I have attached a picture of one of the roosters in the pad. It has been raining here badly, but when it clears up, I will take pics of the entire run and coops. I love my roosters so much. His coop is actually above him in the pic.
Lovely! Is he a Swedish Flower? We have one named Steve the Swede and he looks very similar.

I might work, it can work, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

It might work for a while, then not work.
They might fight once and be done, or they might fight every single chance they get.

Roosters are a crap shoot. Todays behavior is no indicator for tomorrows, and once it goes down hill, it does not go back.

Mrs K

Welp, I'm screwed. Hearing of the bachelors is happening all over the neighborhood. 🤣
We have a bachelor pad that shares a fence with our hen run (and the hens also free range the entire area around the bachelor pad coop and run) and to date we’ve had no issues. That being said, as everyone else says, just because it works today doesn’t mean it will work tomorrow. I also intentionally built my coop and run larger than “needed” so they have plenty of space to get awayfrom each other. We currently have an australorp, a buff Orpington, 2 leghorns, and 3 NH all in the pad. The australorp is about 3 months older than the rest, and we separated them all from the hens not long after he reached maturity, when the younger guys were old enough to go in with him all at the same time.

My "No Girls Allowed" flock shares a run wall with the main flock. Other than some posturing through the hardware cloth, there are no issues between the two groups. I've had as few as three and as many as nine in there at once (make sure you have enough space for them and lots of things to hide behind - not just under, but behind. I LOVE my Bachelor Flock - The eye candy and the antics are well worth the added effort of separate digs and feeders. I call them my "Frat Boys," and they're my FAVORITE flock!

My "No Girls Allowed" flock shares a run wall with the main flock. Other than some posturing through the hardware cloth, there are no issues between the two groups. I've had as few as three and as many as nine in there at once (make sure you have enough space for them and lots of things to hide behind - not just under, but behind. I LOVE my Bachelor Flock - The eye candy and the antics are well worth the added effort of separate digs and feeders. I call them my "Frat Boys," and they're my FAVORITE flock!
@MROO. Agreed. I love my bachelor flock also.

I think a lot of it has to do with what breeds you put together. The size difference ended up being the biggest problem for me. When the huge Muscovy decided after a couple of months that he would mate my Mallard/Rouen it got ugly. There were places for him to hide but he would nail him when he came out to eat or drink as his favorite hiding place was the top of a chicken coop. I did not want him staying in the dark 24/7 in that coop and water rotting the wood on the coop so I did not try to put water and food inside of it. I am happy yours is working our so well for you folks. I may have a Call Duck bachelor pad this spring if things don't work out well for me and hopefully they will all get along during mating season.

Back
Top Bottom