Can I put a hen in a creat to get broody?

My dad recently got a new hen (black copper merain) thats support to be broody. but sense we got her a day ago, we have to let her settle in first fingers are crossed that she is broody
fl.gif
Good for you! But as Millersfarm says, you need to be patient. It could take weeks or months for your new hen to become broody if she does at all. You also need to remember that just because a certain breed of chicken is prone to broodiness, it doesn't mean that every hen of that breed will become broody.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I don't want you to get your hopes up that she will just automatically become broody anytime soon. The reality is, chickens don't go by our schedules, wants, needs or desires. It'll happen when it happens (if it does at all). Were you told that this particular hen goes broody, or just that the breed has that trait? Hoping it works out for you.

Good for you! But as Millersfarm says, you need to be patient. It could take weeks or months for your new hen to become broody if she does at all. You also need to remember that just because a certain breed of chicken is prone to broodiness, it doesn't mean that every hen of that breed will become broody.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I don't want you to get your hopes up that she will just automatically become broody anytime soon. The reality is, chickens don't go by our schedules, wants, needs or desires. It'll happen when it happens (if it does at all). Were you told that this particular hen goes broody, or just that the breed has that trait? Hoping it works out for you.

Ur not discouraging me at all. Im just saying The reason why we got her is because the original oner didn't want her because she was broody. She has already started to get along with rooster the not the whole flock. When a broody chicken is transported to another home does that mean when she is at that different home she will have too much stress on her and not go broody? I hope she does
fl.gif

Ur not discouraging me at all. Im just saying The reason why we got her is because the original oner didn't want her because she was broody. She has already started to get along with rooster the not the whole flock. When a broody chicken is transported to another home does that mean when she is at that different home she will have too much stress on her and not go broody? I hope she does
fl.gif
Stress disrupts the laying cycle. Brooding is tied to a hen's laying cycle. She will need time to settle in, become an established member of the pecking order, and she'll need to start laying regularly before she will go broody for you. That might take a few months.

Stress disrupts the laying cycle. Brooding is tied to a hen's laying cycle. She will need time to settle in, become an established member of the pecking order, and she'll need to start laying regularly before she will go broody for you. That might take a few months.

The thing is..... she was never laying eggs. she is about 4 or 5 months. thx for the advice on how long it will take her!!!!!

Last edited:
IDK but when my dad got her she was broody and when she came to the house she was a regular chicken again I know she needs to settle in for a month but so far I have not gotten any eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom