1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I put Blue Kote from TSC on chickens bald spots?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Causin Chaos, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    I have several hens that have bald spots that have not feathered back out yet . We had to many roos but we got rid of them. Its been 2 or 3 months. I guess when they molt they will get new feathers. I notice that some hens bald spots seem red and irrated. I wondered if I can spray the spots with the blue kote from TSC? This may sound nuts but is the spray blue colored? If so will that draw more attention to the spots and cause more pecking/picking feathers? Thanks

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    If the others are picking, you can spray them with the blue kote. It will dye the area blue/purple, and it can be quite persistent.

Chickens don't see blue well evidently, so it helps to hide exposed wounds.

3. SkyeBleu

SkyeBleu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Hi:
    I use Blu Kote dauber all the time on any injuries. It keeps the others from picking on them. No problems except for the purple color staining that lasts for awhile. I wear latex gloves when I use it for it takes forever to get off my skin too! Good Luck.

4. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Oh yes, that stuff works great! Leaves tell tale purlple all over though! Wear gloves! [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yep! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by