Can I put my delayed feathering chick outside with the others this week?

bonjourbunnie

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Flapjack is a bit too big for the brooder anymore, but he's also still a fuzzy boy. I am getting ready to start introducing the chicks who are ready to have more room to the coop area during warm days, and was wondering if it would be okay to put him out with everyone else despite still being a bit naked? Or should I keep him inside with the slightly younger guys for now? He'd be going out with a group of five others who are three to four weeks old (I got a blended age group from RK, that's for sure 🤣), and size wise, he's actually on the large side of the group, he just has no feathers but his tiny wing nubs yet. 😅

He seems like he stays plenty warm enough in here, but I don't want to hurt him if he's not ready for nature in full yet. He's an absolute bundle of energy (he's the floofy golden boy in the middle here), so I'm really hoping he's capable, so he can have more room and stuff to do to get it out of his system. He's in with the smaller guys for right now, mostly because he refuses to believe he can't take the little (big) turkey on like he used to when they were more size comparable lol

IMG_20230325_101646705_MP.jpg

With a broody hen, they are out in the day's fresh air at 2-3 days old. She doesn't wait for them to feather up. What they need when they are outside is a place they can get out of the wind. They don't have to be out of the wind all of the time, but they need a place where they can get out of the wind and if it can out of the wind and in the sun, that is perfect.

Mine go out side by 3-4 weeks. I generally put them outside on a nice day and keep an eye on them for 5-6 hours, with protection. The second day, I can't catch them till dark. They don't come back to the brooder then.

However, I set up my brooder with just one warm spot, and the rest of the brooder is pretty cold. They play and eat in the cold space and warm up and nap as they want.

Mrs K

With a broody hen, they are out in the day's fresh air at 2-3 days old. She doesn't wait for them to feather up. What they need when they are outside is a place they can get out of the wind. They don't have to be out of the wind all of the time, but they need a place where they can get out of the wind and if it can out of the wind and in the sun, that is perfect.

Mine go out side by 3-4 weeks. I generally put them outside on a nice day and keep an eye on them for 5-6 hours, with protection. The second day, I can't catch them till dark. They don't come back to the brooder then.

However, I set up my brooder with just one warm spot, and the rest of the brooder is pretty cold. They play and eat in the cold space and warm up and nap as they want.

Mrs K
Oh, yay! He'll be glad to hear that. 😊 I feel like the fresh air, larger space, and increased stuff to do would be so good for him right now. I'll be keeping an eye on him to make sure everything is okay still, but excited to get to let little Flapjack get some zooming in with the others!

Today's update!

It's a beautiful day outside today, so they're exploring their coop space for the first time. Everyone seems SO happy, especially Flapjack, who can now play with the turkey AND have room to get away when he gets owned, lol! I really doubt I'll be able to get them to stay in their brooder tonight with any measure of ease now for sure 😅🤣 it's pure chick happiness out there.

I do think outside, fresh air, sunshine and more exercise makes for healthier chicks. People with the best of intentions to keep them safe, can actually decrease their health by keeping them in too much shelter, too small of space with too much heat.

That's part of why I love my ridiculously oversized 4x8 brooder. I think it helps raise strong chicks

I do think outside, fresh air, sunshine and more exercise makes for healthier chicks. People with the best of intentions to keep them safe, can actually decrease their health by keeping them in too much shelter, too small of space with too much heat.
They're so happy today I have to agree. I have also been surprisingly less worried about them because of how clearly satisfied and content they are!

Back
Top Bottom