can I put my hen to bed damp in heat wave?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
I have heard cooling them off by placing them in room temp water and getting some under their wings and just up to their breast but can I do this in the evening so that when they go to bed they are slightly damp so the night goes better in the 85 degree coop? The temp outside is much hotter but I have great shade and two fans and good ventilation but its still 85 in there and my girls drop their wings and pant in the night. Can I get them wet before bed? not soaking wet, I would do it about an hour before so they have time to preen and dry a bit

Considering that humidity in your area is only 26% right now (but dang it's hot!), I think it would be okay. The fans will keep it from becoming stuffy. In our area, I wouldn't dare put them to bed damp. I'd be making a sauna in their coop.

Chickens don't cool down by evaporation as we humans do. They shed excess heat mainly through legs and feet and comb and wattles. By holding their wings away from their bodies, they also cool the blood vessels in the breast and wing pits by circulating air over those parts.

Dampening a chicken would cause more stress than it would be beneficial. If you have no fan set up in the coop, Walmart sells them for very cheap. Moving air, even if very warm, helps to cool much better than stagnant air.

Back
Top Bottom