Can I put newly hatched chicks in with a hen with 3 day old chicks?

ginznchix

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2010
South Jersey
I have a few chicks hatching right now, maybe 3-5 chicks depending on what actually hatches, and I have a hen with five 3-4 day old chicks. I'd like to add these to her chicks if possible. Has anyone had luck sneaking chicks under a hen when they're a few days apart in age? Thanks!

I've never tried, but I'd love to see if this works! Good luck!

My 6 year old granddaughter snuck a few extra eggs under a hen without telling me, and I didn't notice for a few days. When I asked her about it she was so excited about "her" eggs that I just let them stay. when the first group hatched I threw "her" eggs in the incubator for a couple of days but I really don't want to brood them myself. I already have a 2 week old batch in the house! I don't want Mom to kill these chicks though, granddaughter would be devastated! Not sure how to handle it.

My 6 year old granddaughter snuck a few extra eggs under a hen without telling me, and I didn't notice for a few days. When I asked her about it she was so excited about "her" eggs that I just let them stay. when the first group hatched I threw "her" eggs in the incubator for a couple of days but I really don't want to brood them myself. I already have a 2 week old batch in the house! I don't want Mom to kill these chicks though, granddaughter would be devastated! Not sure how to handle it.
Aw! That's so cute! I would try it at night.

Why not add them to the brooder group?
Well, the brooder group is pretty big and moving to a new location in a few days. I don't know if I'd want these littles to move with them. I also do have another broody out there, who I keep throwing out of the nest box. She's been broody for about a week. Maybe I should put these guys under HER and let her raise them! She's awfully crazy though, but she has wanted to be a MOM for 10 years now and never allowed. Decisions, decisions...

Back
Top Bottom