Can I put Pellet bedding in my duck run??

Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
Hello all,
I have had my 2 beautiful ducks for almost a year, they have a small run and duck house that they are in at night and free range with the chickens in the day. The issue I am having is the mud in the pen they have a small pool in there that they love and play in (and I swear sleep in lol) during the time they are in the run. I know I could remove the pool and they could just swim in the pond when they free range but they really love that pool! I was told that I could put pelleted bedding in the run and it would help with the mud. Has anyone done this?? Is it ok for the ducks? Thank you!

I watched Lowes for when they put their pavers on sale for a dollar each I bought enough to cover the area where their pool sits and extra to come out from it a ways it has helped a lot with mud. Flat river rock will help too but you’d need to put landscaping material under or they would have the rock buried in the mud. I haven’t any experience with pelleted bedding.

I watched Lowes for when they put their pavers on sale for a dollar each I bought enough to cover the area where their pool sits and extra to come out from it a ways it has helped a lot with mud. Flat river rock will help too but you’d need to put landscaping material under or they would have the rock buried in the mud. I haven’t any experience with pelleted bedding.
Thank you for the info! I am concerned they might try to eat the pellet bedding

I raise on pellets. I haven’t had issues with this. The pellets will turn to dust but will help to dry the mud up. I would recommend though if you garden not to use the pellets as it compacts the soil.

I raise on pellets. I haven’t had issues with this. The pellets will turn to dust but will help to dry the mud up. I would recommend though if you garden not to use the pellets as it compacts the soil.
Thank you so much and thank you for telling me about my garden! I need to get the mud taken care of and was hoping this would help!

Hello all,
I have had my 2 beautiful ducks for almost a year, they have a small run and duck house that they are in at night and free range with the chickens in the day. The issue I am having is the mud in the pen they have a small pool in there that they love and play in (and I swear sleep in lol) during the time they are in the run. I know I could remove the pool and they could just swim in the pond when they free range but they really love that pool! I was told that I could put pelleted bedding in the run and it would help with the mud. Has anyone done this?? Is it ok for the ducks? Thank you!
I have used the pellets for my chickens under their roosts and it will eventually turn to wet sawdust. That's great in that situation. Sand is even better. I think you may have a mess on your hands with the ducks though..(I three). They are such little mess makers and soooo wet. Even their poo is wet. You may want to do a whole different pool set up. Take a look on Pinterest for some really cool pool set ups on a deck. I'm designing a 25 gallon pool (horse drinker) that will fit into the hole on the deck with the support of a cinder block under it. I've marked off an area just under the trees so they are hidden from the hawks and eagles who fly overhead. It's also on a slope so that when I drain it with a hose it's all going downhill toward my fruit trees and flower garden. Good luck.

I use fake grass around my ponds
And areas that are all dirt
Easy to hose the poo off
Nobody has tried to eat it
I have been using it for 2 years

Attachments

• BDB0BE25-775E-4E0A-BC82-136D7718D365.png
    BDB0BE25-775E-4E0A-BC82-136D7718D365.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 1884E388-202C-4FE8-B08B-6CBB27822565.png
    1884E388-202C-4FE8-B08B-6CBB27822565.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 27