Can I put the hardware cloth on the floor on my enclosure if it's over grass?

how big is the space? is this an enclosed run? if you're willing to dig down deep enough: 8-10in you can lay hardware cloth, then back fill with drainage rock followed by weed cloth then 6in dirt/sand . i did that in a 6x10ft run and it worked without issue. I put perforated pvc over the hardware cloth to serve as a drainage system that worked well. never had a problem but was a lot of elbow grease. An 18in apron probably would have sufficed. here's a video of that coop build

Wow, that's a beautiful set up you have! My enclosure is just a metal enclosure 10" X 6.5". I have a coop that I'm going to put in there or maybe attach if it seems too crowded. I ordered my chicks for next month and I'm trying to get things set up before they come.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I have done that for chicks (to keep rats from tunneling in as aprons won't help when they're coming from down under & rabbits from tunneling out).. if there is any traffic the grass quickly disappears (due to eating, trampling, and also the excess nitrogen and build up of fresh droppings). I kept a thick layer of hay/shavings/or other mulch on top.

While I never personally had any issues.. Those hutches are long gone and wire dug out.. I'm sure the concern from other posters is valid. My grown chickens can dig holes a foot deep or more, given enough time.

How big is your enclosure? What are you housing? And what are trying to achieve? Pics welcome.
Wow, a foot deep holes! I wasn't aware they could dig like that. The enclosure I ordered is 10' X 6.5'. It has hardware cloth on all sides and a tarpy roof, I ordered day old chicks for mid Feb. to give me time to get things set up. I have a small coop that I'm planning on putting inside or attach if it's too crowded. I appreciate any advice as this is my first time having chickens.

The enclosure I ordered is 10' X 6.5'. It has hardware cloth on all sides and a tarpy roof, I ordered day old chicks for mid Feb. to give me time to get things set up. I have a small coop that I'm planning on putting inside or attach if it's too crowded. I appreciate any advice as this is my first time having chickens.
How many chicks did you order, and what breeds? That'll make a difference in whether you have room inside the space for the coop or not - most likely it will need to sit outside of the run.

I ordered 8 to split with a co worker. I will end up with 1 each of Barred Plymouth Rock, Easter Egger. Red Star, and cream Legbar. I ordered a coop that I put together last weekend but it's too small, so I have an old bookshelf in my garage that I'm going to try to make into another coop. (I drew out the plans today at work) I'm excited but I can see how things can quickly get out of hand and the next thing I know my whole backyard will be chickens, lol.

I ordered 8 to split with a co worker. I will end up with 1 each of Barred Plymouth Rock, Easter Egger. Red Star, and cream Legbar. I ordered a coop that I put together last weekend but it's too small, so I have an old bookshelf in my garage that I'm going to try to make into another coop. (I drew out the plans today at work) I'm excited but I can see how things can quickly get out of hand and the next thing I know my whole backyard will be chickens, lol.
Since you'll end up with 4 for now the run size should likely be okay for them, but coop should be placed outside OR inside but elevated high enough so birds can use the space under it, so it doesn't eat up run floor space.

Thanks, my back was trying to avoid the concrete route lol. I think I'll have to grin and bear it though.
The concrete route is pretty easy, this way. The only real effort is the digging - and since you don't need to worry about level surfaces or squared corners (it's all going to be buried!) that's super-simplified. You also don't have to mix and pour the concrete. Just dump the ready-mix dry stuff into the trench, run the hose and use a long-handled hoe to mix it in place. It also sets more quickly, because you don't need a soupy slurry. You only need enough water to wet the powder and let Mother Nature do the rest!

The concrete route is pretty easy, this way. The only real effort is the digging - and since you don't need to worry about level surfaces or squared corners (it's all going to be buried!) that's super-simplified. You also don't have to mix and pour the concrete. Just dump the ready-mix dry stuff into the trench, run the hose and use a long-handled hoe to mix it in place. It also sets more quickly, because you don't need a soupy slurry. You only need enough water to wet the powder and let Mother Nature do the rest!
Thanks, that sounds do-able. Appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom