Can I put the hardware cloth on the floor on my enclosure if it's over grass?

I would not. First the chickens will try to dig in it and may hurt their nails. Secondly the urates in the poop and moisture will eventually start to break it down and you'll have pieces of torn wire that can injure both the birds and yourself. It would be best to use a 24" hardware cloth apron around all sides. You can put some digging stakes around that if you want to be extra vigilant.

You can, but it will eventually break down, even if it's galvanized ... then your birds are prone to metal splinters and bumblefoot!
If the goal is to keep predators from digging under, might I suggest a less expensive option that has worked for me? I dug a narrow trench around ten inches deep (the length of my shovel) all around the base of my playhouse coop and run. I filled opposite sides of the trench with dry Qwik-rete, ran a hose into the trench and mixed it up, in-place. When it was set, I did the other two sides. There is now a continuous concrete barrier all along the outside of my birds' home. It's been in place for seven years, and so far, so good. It's kept out both DD's dog, who thinks chickens are the ultimate, organic squeaky toys and many foxes from the woods out back.

I used welded wire on the bottom of my chicken tractor, because I couldn’t make an apron around it, as it had to be able to be moved. I don’t think it really offered much protection, and the chickens toenails would get caught in it sometimes. It did keep them from digging holes in the ground though, lol.

how big is the space? is this an enclosed run? if you're willing to dig down deep enough: 8-10in you can lay hardware cloth, then back fill with drainage rock followed by weed cloth then 6in dirt/sand . i did that in a 6x10ft run and it worked without issue. I put perforated pvc over the hardware cloth to serve as a drainage system that worked well. never had a problem but was a lot of elbow grease. An 18in apron probably would have sufficed. here's a video of that coop build

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I have done that for chicks (to keep rats from tunneling in as aprons won't help when they're coming from down under & rabbits from tunneling out).. if there is any traffic the grass quickly disappears (due to eating, trampling, and also the excess nitrogen and build up of fresh droppings). I kept a thick layer of hay/shavings/or other mulch on top.

While I never personally had any issues.. Those hutches are long gone and wire dug out.. I'm sure the concern from other posters is valid. My grown chickens can dig holes a foot deep or more, given enough time.

How big is your enclosure? What are you housing? And what are trying to achieve? Pics welcome.

I would not. First the chickens will try to dig in it and may hurt their nails. Secondly the urates in the poop and moisture will eventually start to break it down and you'll have pieces of torn wire that can injure both the birds and yourself. It would be best to use a 24" hardware cloth apron around all sides. You can put some digging stakes around that if you want to be extra vigilant.
Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Thanks, I didn't think of that.

You can, but it will eventually break down, even if it's galvanized ... then your birds are prone to metal splinters and bumblefoot!
If the goal is to keep predators from digging under, might I suggest a less expensive option that has worked for me? I dug a narrow trench around ten inches deep (the length of my shovel) all around the base of my playhouse coop and run. I filled opposite sides of the trench with dry Qwik-rete, ran a hose into the trench and mixed it up, in-place. When it was set, I did the other two sides. There is now a continuous concrete barrier all along the outside of my birds' home. It's been in place for seven years, and so far, so good. It's kept out both DD's dog, who thinks chickens are the ultimate, organic squeaky toys and many foxes from the woods out back.
Thanks, my back was trying to avoid the concrete route lol. I think I'll have to grin and bear it though.

Back
Top Bottom