Can I put these in the bator????????

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
OK I am sure many of you know I have a little banty roo CLyde ( who I totally love ) with him is 15 standard girls - lately he has been doing the dance of love towards his girls but I have never really seen him doing the act ( I did see him jump on the back of one of the bigger girls but he fell off )
well tonight I cracked open 5 eggs ( 4 Americanas 1 Buff rock ) and every one of them had a white spot in the yoke- just a little spot I have never hatched eggs so I am not sure if I saw what I think I did ( boy I hope that made sense LOL )

Can someone please post a pic of a fertile egg - and if these are really fertile than can I set them? how do I start - what do I need to do to set them ? I have a brand new bator - never done this before so I will have LOTS of questions ( sorry ). The book that came with the bator says I need to set the temp - but how ? I dont even have my thermo/humity thingy yet !!

thank you for any help

Julie

To start, what brand and model of incubator do you have?

You can always plug it in and get it warming up before you get your thermometer/hygrometer. It's fun just plugging the darn thing in and dreaming about the eggs you're going to hatch.

In the meantime you can start saving your fertile eggs in an egg carton with the bigger end of the egg oriented upward. Keep the eggs in a cool room out of direct sunlight. Use a pencil and write the collection date on each egg. That way you will be ready to go with the freshest ones when you've got your incubator properly set up and adjusted. I think it's also recommended that you rotate/turn the collected eggs daily, keeping the large ends up still, until you are able to start them incubating. Perhaps someone more experienced than me could tell you about turning the eggs during storage prior to the start of incubation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Thanks
to SpeckledHen
smile.png

Good luck! I'm still waiting for my bantam roo to 'hit the spot' so I can incubate a few. He does everything.. but doesn't reach quite far enough.

Meghan

well after looking at those wonderful pictures - it looks like my little man is somehow getting the job done - I dont know how or when !! LOL

I know this will be " mutts " but heck some of my best friends are mutts !!!!

the cross will be Black Dutch banty roo/ Buff Rock standard or
Black Dutch banty roo/ Americana standard
have no idea what they will look like might be cute fuzzy butts and I guess this will be good pratice till I get some eggs this spring.

Julie

oh and I have the Little Giant Still Air 9200

Back
Top Bottom