Can I raise a turkey with no other turkeys

TurkeyLoverIguess

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
My family raised some meat turkeys and I just had a special connection I've never had with any other animal. We were planning on getting a pet turkey but we think its for the best if we just get one.
I won't leave it alone at all, I will be there everyday caring for it and will make sure it doesn't get bored or lonely. I'm just wondering if my care will be enough or if I will have to get 2.

My family raised some meat turkeys and I just had a special connection I've never had with any other animal. We were planning on getting a pet turkey but we think its for the best if we just get one.
I won't leave it alone at all, I will be there everyday caring for it and will make sure it doesn't get bored or lonely. I'm just wondering if my care will be enough or if I will have to get 2.
If you want a turkey for a pet, get at least 2 heritage hen turkeys. Turkeys are very social birds and need company of their own kind.

There is no way a person can be there for the turkey every minute of every day.

Each turkey will have its own personality. Don't be surprised if you new pet does not act the same way as the one your remember.

could I keep only 2 Toms and no hens? I would like Royal Palms. They are only available as straight run so I wanted to keep 2 males and eat the females.

I currently have 24 Light Brahmas. I will raise the turkey chicks separately but would like to let them free range during the day like I do my chickens when they mature some.

could I keep only 2 Toms and no hens? I would like Royal Palms. They are only available as straight run so I wanted to keep 2 males and eat the females.

I currently have 24 Light Brahmas. I will raise the turkey chicks separately but would like to let them free range during the day like I do my chickens when they mature some.
I don't recommend it. Keeping lone toms with chickens at some point will probably end up with flat chickens.
When breeding season comes around the toms are going to try to breed something which may include the hens. Toms can seem to be in breeding mode for 3/4 of the year. Toms being the hormonal males that they are can also turn mean without any apparent reason.

Back
Top Bottom