Can I raise chickens in my neighborhood?

What zone do you live in?

For example Residence District A allows:
Agriculture or nursery, provided that there is no display for commercial purposes or advertisement on the premises.

But:
§ 302. Prohibited and restricted uses.
B.In any use district, no premises may be used or occupied and no structure erected or maintained for the harboring of pigeons, poultry, fowl, ducks, geese, swine, goats, sheep, lambs, horses, ponies, donkeys, snakes, cattle, monkeys, rabbits, chinchillas, minks, skunks, foxes or bees, except when permitted as a special exception by the Board of Appeals pursuant to Article XXVII (XXVII is here: http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=99634&infobase=hemp-bzo.nfo&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42)
So, it looks like you have to go before the Board of Appeals...? If so, I can share with you the presentations we made to convince our town to change the zoning to allow chickens... just so you can see the argumants people might have and be prepared with the answers... let me know.

I think it sounds fairly hopeful that they've writeen in the possibility of a variance!! If you are talking about a small flock for you own egg use and as pets, I think you have a good shot at it. Feel free to email if you'd like to hear about how we did it. (although I will not be able to answer in depth till next week...)

Good luck
Stacey

What zone do you live in?

For example Residence District A allows:
Agriculture or nursery, provided that there is no display for commercial purposes or advertisement on the premises.

But:
§ 302. Prohibited and restricted uses.
B.In any use district, no premises may be used or occupied and no structure erected or maintained for the harboring of pigeons, poultry, fowl, ducks, geese, swine, goats, sheep, lambs, horses, ponies, donkeys, snakes, cattle, monkeys, rabbits, chinchillas, minks, skunks, foxes or bees, except when permitted as a special exception by the Board of Appeals pursuant to Article XXVII (XXVII is here: http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=99634&infobase=hemp-bzo.nfo&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42)
So, it looks like you have to go before the Board of Appeals...? If so, I can share with you the presentations we made to convince our town to change the zoning to allow chickens... just so you can see the argumants people might have and be prepared with the answers... let me know.

I think it sounds fairly hopeful that they've writeen in the possibility of a variance!! If you are talking about a small flock for you own egg use and as pets, I think you have a good shot at it. Feel free to email if you'd like to hear about how we did it. (although I will not be able to answer in depth till next week...)

Good luck
Stacey
Hi Stacey. This is Sam.
Please PM me.
Would you please email me the presentation that you were referring to when I go in front of the Board of Appeals? I got a letter today that I need to get rid of my chicken coop. But I hope to appeal or file for a variance. I just need to know the process and successful methods. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am also thinking of raising chickens in the town of north hempstead in new hyde pk, obtained from an island coop but I may not after reading this thread... what a shame. Chickens do not even crow in the :(morning and have little nuisance other than clucking and residing outside...

Back
Top Bottom