Can I raise chickens in my neighborhood?

Hi! I live in Nassau county too (town of hempstead) and am trying to find out if i am allowed to keep a few chickens for eggs as well. I have tried so many ways to find out; i read your post and had to ask you if you have gotten anymore info.

I am in the Town of North hempstead, Port Washington. Where are you? maybe we can help each other in some way?

Can anyone find one for Syracuse NY?
hu.gif

I'v looked all over the web but i can't find it. I called too but i didn't like the answer
somad.gif

Quote:
When I call for these types of questions, I don't give me name or address. I would just say, I live in town and want to keep a few chickens for pets and eggs. Ask what, if any, ordinances they have regarding chickens.

Hi chickpee-i'm in Wantagh ( i used to work in the Port wash school district before i had kids!). small world! anyway, I have been searching all over to find this info and am headed to the library soon. Like you, i am afraid to call and be flagged. I have such a weirdo next door neighbor, that i have to be armed with info before i do this. the chicks are coming on 4/11, so i need to find out soon.

Last edited:
SeaChick-I was wondering if you could send me the appeal information you were talking about a few posts ago. It seems as though i may need that. thanks!

Last edited:
I think you guys also need to look at the land use part..... did I get the wrong town when I found this? (It's titled: BUILDING ZONE ORDINANCE OF THE TOWN OF HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, v31):
§ 302. Prohibited and restricted uses.
B.In any use district, no premises may be used or occupied and no structure erected or maintained for the harboring of pigeons, poultry, fowl, ducks, geese, swine, goats, sheep, lambs, horses, ponies, donkeys, snakes, cattle, monkeys, rabbits, chinchillas, minks, skunks, foxes or bees, except when permitted as a special exception by the Board of Appeals pursuant to Article XXVII (XXVII is here: http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dl … Frame_Pg42)

Because that seems pretty clear that you can't have chickens in ANY district unless you get a variance......

Last edited:
Re SYRACUSE:

I could not find the ordinance on line, but I'll bet if you email these people: http://www.focussyracuse.org/ and simply say you are looking for the entire code of ordinance, they can email you a pdf of it. They're sure to have it!

Then look in the land use section for your residential zone/district, as well as in any sections pertaining to animals, agriculture, and nuisance. You have to look at all these sections and don't assume that becuase it;s not in one of them, it's OK. Different towns put things in different places.

Good luck!
Stacey

Re: Town of North Hempstead, NY: This looks good for you!!! (from http://www.e-codes.generalcode.com/codebook_frameset.asp?ep=fs&t=ws&cb=0081_A. I searched Fowl, poultry and chickens and the only other mention in the whole code was in reference to slaughtering.)

E. No accessory building or structure or part thereof used for the housing of fowl or domestic animals, other than dogs or cats, shall be less than 50 feet from any property line. All existing buildings or structures not in conformity with the provisions of this section shall, within two years from the adoption of this local law, be removed or be relocated to conform to this section.

Back
Top Bottom