Can I raise Pheasant or any other game bird in with chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by paprikash, Aug 21, 2014.

1. paprikash

paprikash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Deep South New Jersey
    I would love to add a pheasant or chukar or other game bird in with my flock of 7 hens. I would even be open to a wild turkey hen. Do they normally get along? Is there any issue with health or do I need to treat them different?

2. Joshw

Joshw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    That's not a good idea, but possible. I know of people that let their turkeys run with chickens.
    but there are diseases that won't hurt a chicken that will kill turkeys and pheasant. so you are
    taking a big risk of losing some birds. Also a pheasant will fight with chickens and probably kill
    some. Chukars are very susceptible to worms so if you raise them on the ground you have to worm
    them very regularly. So my advice would be to keep them separate and keeps chukars off the ground.
    pay attention to pen size with pheasant as well. You have to give them much more room than a chicken
    or they will fight each other.

3. Bob White quail

Bob White quail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    I keep all my birds together quail,pheasants,and dives they don't fight or pick but make sure they have enough room and food and cover what kind of pheasants do you have are there any black pheasant hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by