Can I release my king quails into the wild

godowar337

Hatching
Nov 3, 2016
I live in southeast qld in Australia and am wondering if I can release the king quails into grassland in the area

I would contact your version of Game and Fish or the local wildlife dept. never hurts to make sure before the fact
wink.png

Howdy godowar337 and Welcome to BYC!

Are you talking about releasing king quail that you have been caring for into the grassland to fend for themselves?

I have no experience with quail so do not totally understand the question but wonder why you would want to? If they have been in your care would they not just be picked off by predators?

[Not a criticism or attack but genuine, out of interest questions]

I've had my king quails for a while now and I only have one cage so yeah over crowding will eventually happen. I plan to keep the original breeding pair. I let them be as close to nature as possible with free ranged conditions and I do cut up earth worms for them. What predators eat quails in Australia.would they survive.

Last edited:
Howdy godowar337 and Welcome to BYC!

Are you talking about releasing king quail that you have been caring for into the grassland to fend for themselves?

I have no experience with quail so do not totally understand the question but wonder why you would want to?  If they have been in your care would they not just be picked off by predators?

[Not a criticism or attack but genuine, out of interest questions]

Sorry I'm new to this site. I don't really know how to reply properly. I hope this answers your questions. I don't plan on releasing my original breeding pair.

Hey godowar337

You replied just fine.

As I said, definitely not a quail expert here, never even touched one but have seen pictures and a couple of little ones at the feed store lol
wink.png

But I am thinking that the same predators that are a threat to free range chickens in the bush are going to be a threat to your quails including feral cats, snakes, stray dogs, hawks, goannas and foxes [off the top of my head].

How big is a King Quail? I thought quails were tiny but ‘King’ indicates they are bigger? Depending on their size, a Crow could also be a threat; I have seen them attack and eat a Turtle Dove alive
sad.png
Again, depending on their size, Butcher Birds may also see them as a tasty treat.

Okey doke, thanks for that, learnt something new today
wink.png

They can’t fly right?

Just my humble opinion, but I do not fancy their chances if they are out in the big wide world fending for themselves. If they are the size of a chicken chick then yep, Crows and Butcher Birds are also a threat.

Would you not be able to advertise any you do not want to keep on Gumtree for example? Either for sale or give away? [Not sure if there is a market for quail
hu.gif
] Some local feed stores that sell poultry may also take them off your hands and find them secure homes?

I highly doubt any flying birds will find them in the grass. Only things would be Wild cats I guess. I don't know if anyone on gum tree will buy them.

Back
Top Bottom