Can I rely on them or is this pointless?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I'm getting into breeding Silver Laced Polish, and I want the best for my girls.
I've been looking forever it feels like to find a qualified gentleman for them, no luck until recently. I got offered two Silver Laced roosters from Logan Stoltman's lines, and saw a big opportunity for both me and my girls. Problem is they are bantam, my girls are LF.
-
Will this cause a problem? I'm hoping with two roosters the likeability of the eggs being fertile will increase.
I have no idea how big a bantam polish is, only ever owned LF.
It's just my silver girls are quite fat and fluffy, I'm worried I won't get great fertility.
-
Another question, I have 3 silvers- Really only wanting to breed 2 of the 3 as 1 isn't the greatest quality.
Will the 2 roosters be too much on the 3 hens?
-
**pictures included of my lovelies**
IMG_20231227_134632717_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231227_135148171_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231227_135138869_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20231225-073307.png
Screenshot_20231225-115125.png

Here's the one I'm not wanting to breed as much:
IMG_20231227_134021148_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231112_081206614_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231114_111424340_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

I would take the best of the roos and go from there.
Are you saying that one roo should be fine? I was planning on keeping both unless they end up being bigger than i thought. Or are you referring to quality? That wasn't a worry until I thought about it- Based off the videos i received a month ago they look relatively the same, but they might appear different in person and it's also been a month. They were 5 months old then.
**Pictures are just screenshots from the video I was sent of them**
Do they look fine? I'm new to the breeding thing, especially polish so not sure what to look for- i was told the more black the better but not sure if that was true. They had 3, but they're keeping one and I believe I'm getting the other 2.
Screenshot_20231228-220121.png
Screenshot_20231228-220105.png
Screenshot_20231228-215923.png
Screenshot_20231228-215953.png

Screenshot_20231228-220919.png

Also was told the fathers were from Larry K. Glenn, mothers were from Logan Stoltman as I mentioned. Both are well known for their polish. They showed the fathers, in the first photo below I believe the one father has squirrel tail? i heard that's not desired in some breeds, not sure about polish.
Screenshot_20231228-220850.png
Screenshot_20231228-220823.png

Last edited:
Are you saying that one roo should be fine? I was planning on keeping both unless they end up being bigger than i thought. Or are you referring to quality? That wasn't a worry until I thought about it- Based off the videos i received a month ago they look relatively the same, but they might appear different in person and it's also been a month. They were 5 months old then.
**Pictures are just screenshots from the video I was sent of them**
Do they look fine? I'm new to the breeding thing, especially polish so not sure what to look for- i was told the more black the better but not sure if that was true. They had 3, but they're keeping one and I believe I'm getting the other 2.
View attachment 3714189View attachment 3714190View attachment 3714191View attachment 3714192
View attachment 3714203
Also was told the fathers were from Larry K. Glenn, mothers were from Logan Stoltman as I mentioned. Both are well known for their polish. They showed the fathers, in the first photo below I believe the one father has squirrel tail? i heard that's not desired in some breeds, not sure about polish.
View attachment 3714205
I'm not sure which one would be better, but yes, only 1. 2 is too many for 3 girls.
You can get a hold of the Australian sop,it's similar to ours. I think it's online, someone here had a link. Or Google show winning silver laced polish and see who fits best. Or a polish breeders club website will have photos if good birds.

How so? What will the bantams end up doing? I'm not too worried about not having show quality birds. I'm mainly just wanting to keep the overall look of my girls, not including size or fullness. Just good breeders.
If that is your goal by all means go ahead with the bantam cockerel then. They should be able to breed to some success. Two might be overbearing (although I tend to like to keep an extra around in case one dies.)

How so? What will the bantams end up doing? I'm not too worried about not having show quality birds. I'm mainly just wanting to keep the overall look of my girls, not including size or fullness. Just good breeders.
Fertility should be okay. I have bantams that manage to fertilize my Marans…they just need to have the will! 😆 As for what they will do—you will get children of the pairing that are not bantam nor large fowl sized which is not ideal for showing or breeding for show stock. But if you just want quality birds for yourself, they will be great! 😍 Your hens are gorgeous 😍

Fertility should be okay. I have bantams that manage to fertilize my Marans…they just need to have the will! 😆 As for what they will do—you will get children of the pairing that are not bantam nor large fowl sized which is not ideal for showing or breeding for show stock. But if you just want quality birds for yourself, they will be great! 😍 Your hens are gorgeous 😍
Thank you! I'm probably not getting those roosters I mentioned anyway. The lady was all about shipping them and now she won't respond to my messages. 😐
I also just started thinking about the bantam thing, I'm wanting to sell so would like to do so responsibly. So bantams I suppose aren't the best option.

Back
Top Bottom