Can I See Show Quality Welsummers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ticks, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My wellie is looking pretty nice and beautiful. Can I see some pics of show quality Wellies?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Show quality welsummers are rare, since they are mainly bred for laying. However, I found one of the only breeders of SHOW wellies on the west coast and bought one of his nicest hens for my friend. I'll see if she'll take a picture of it and send it to me.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I dont have a pic, but our welsummers came from more of a show line, the egg color is bad compared to the ones bred for egg color.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    So they are rare. do people show them?

5. Kanchii

Yes they show them, but show quality strains are rare, because most people breed them for egg production, not for show quality. I think I only saw one or two welsummers at the big stockton show, and that's been the only time I've seen one at a show.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No Welsummers in our shows here in Central Illinois yet....I think they should bred them for egg color AND standard of the breed as well. I LOVE my Welsummers and would not part with my two hens! And got 14 chicks as well.

Enjoy!

7. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:So, where are the chicken shows? Where can I go to look at the breeds. Do they have them at the state fair in the summer at Cal Expo?[​IMG]

8. Kanchii

Quote:So, where are the chicken shows? Where can I go to look at the breeds. Do they have them at the state fair in the summer at Cal Expo?[​IMG]

I doubt there will be any there, but you never know unless you look. I think there's only really one breeder who focuses on show strain welsummers in california, thats who i bought the hen from which i gave to my friend.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Sorry, I am kind of slow at this, I thought any good looking fowl could be show quality.?

10. Kanchii

Quote:Doesn't matter how good looking they are, it matters if they fit the standard of perfection. And obviously, birds from a breeder that focuses on egg production probably wont be 'show quality'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by