Can I see some roost set up pictures?

Last summer's coop roosts:
IMG_1604.jpg

Temporary roosts on sawhorses while I was figuring out end-of-hoophouse coop for winter:
IMG_0393.jpg

Another incarnation:
IMG_1784.jpg

Current setup:
IMG_1791.jpg

25976_p110111_1526.jpg

See here, his nose is at least a tail's length from the higher-up chicken's pooper. I really did measure my biggest chicken from nose to tail tip while she was roosting, and spaced those two roosts according to that measurement, so I'd have comfortable space for her to roost up high (where she likes it) comfortably with ample head room/turning room, also so her backseat driver won't have any risk of poop-de-doo in the middle of the night. I can't help it, I'm a nurse and poop is kind of my whole business. I don't want poop in any of the wrong places (like, in the eye).

Also in there is the top of the nestbox, all flat like a nest/shelf. some of the chickens like to cuddle there when its cold, they like the square with fresh pine chips to snuggle on.

I hope to build a run outside with a 6X6" post for a roost, set into concrete like a fencepost, with a good 2ft. roosting pole on each side of the post, starting 18" off the ground on one side, then the next roost 12" above that on the next side, etc spiraling up the 4 sides of the post so nobody can get pooped on while roosting, and all the poops right there around the post so easy for me to scoop up for my compost. Some chickens like to be up high, and some like to be down low. They each need their own favorite space.

I hope you can show pictures of what you wind up with!

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the outdoor enclosure in winter time. The perches are all empty in the pic because everyone prefers to free range once they are let out in the mornings.
5159300817_40d693e6e4_o.jpg

Another view of it in summer time.
5163385824_7cc98053a2_o.jpg

Here's a pic of the chicken house, when the residents are trying to sleep.
5243178826_35c29f4a8b_o.jpg

I just nailed a bunch of branches up in the corners, and they sleep in the rafters anyway.
tongue.png

The second roost I moved out to about a foot, it was at 6" offset from the one above but it wasn't enough.
IMG_1314.jpg

61023_img_1320.jpg

61023_7.jpg

So, it seems if there's a roost by a window, all the birds will crowd near that?

Sheila - you don't find that if your upper roost chickens are facing the window, they poop on the lower rung chickens?

We have big heavy orpingtons, and from what I had read, they needed to be close to the ground so they would not injure themselves as they jumped off of the roost. I also have them all at the same height so no one gets a superiority attitude.
I do not really like my arrangement, It takes up a lot of room, I have cinder blocks with 2x4's sitting through the top hole. It is clunky and heavy when it is time to clean. and no room for a poop board.

What do you 'big bird' owners do?

This is the main roosting area set up, in our big coop. Its 8ft wide and the "poop board" area is just about 4ft across. Most of them actually roost on the front 2x4 used to keep the shavings up there, and only a few use the actual roost board, but there is enough space they all roost comfortably and no one gets pooped on!
62442_picture_3831796.jpg

This is the roost shelf in the Orp coop. Suede is a tank and he does better on this with his huge feet. It's about 21" from the floor and they don't lose their balance and fall off like they could on a ladder roosts. It's made with plastic garden fencing on a frame. That file cabinet nest is not under there anymore.

DCP_1149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom