can I sell brother and sister as a pair?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debadoodledoo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. debadoodledoo

debadoodledoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Lincolnshire
    Basically I have 5 chicks now 8 weeks old, 2 are cockerals which I cannot keep. I think it is going to be difficult to sell a cockeral on it's own but am not sure if a brother and sister can be paired? or is this a no-no?
    Please advise

thanks Deb x

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure you can sell them as a pair. It is generally ok to interbreed for up to 3 generations before having to mix in some new blood. After that the blood line seems to go a bit haywire.

3. debadoodledoo

Jul 31, 2009
    Lincolnshire
    Oh brilliant thanks for that! [​IMG]

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Sure can, but it might not be as hard to get rid of the cockerals as you'd think. Call around to feed stores and see if there are any local sales/swaps you can take them to.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't know how it works in GB, but here in the US I can usually find a home for roos on Craig's List.

6. debadoodledoo

Jul 31, 2009
    Lincolnshire
    Craigs List? Is that a web site? Never heard of any kind of service ove here.

7. TwistedRee

TwistedRee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Craigslist is a website and can be used for a lot of different countries. ... It's nice to know the generation rule! Good luck finding a home for your brother/sister pair!

8. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:I am in the same boat - I have THREE cockerels that need to be re-homed. Try listing on Preloved, and Poultry Auctions (google it; I cannot remember the exact address). Let me know what you come up with!

~Cherlyn

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    You can, but i would state that they're brother and sister. You can inbreed for up to 3 generations SOMETIMES but it's not always like that. One time can be all it takes, it just depends..

10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would not recommend inbreeding beyond one generation. If you sell them it would be nice if you advised the buyer that they were closely related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by